kudos1uk

Cadet
Hi,

I just bought a boat with Chrysler 35 HP outboard
Chrysler 35 HP
350H8L 1978
S No 1119

50:1 fuel mix

It was not used last year by the last owner.

I could not keep it going, it would run for a few second then would give a "put" and stall, it might do this 2-3 times then refuse to start, only taking out the plugs (wet with fuel oil) and letting it vent/dry would allow me another try.

I put new plugs (set at .030) and caps on cleaned out the carburettor (set the idle to one turn out, it was set at 1.5 turns out as found) & I cleaned and set the points to .020.

It appears to run well now starts first pull but it does make a lot of smoke, I know its 2-stroke and an old timer but is it normal?

Here is a video of it running: http://youtu.be/C5aDTP8RGHc

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 35 HP - smoke

Yep, that's normal. Running in a barrel concentrates the exhaust and makes the smoke look much worse than it really is. It won't appear to smoke nearly as badly once you put it on a boat and are running ar speed. You still will get some smoke blowing back into the boat at idle though.

kudos1uk

Cadet

Thanks for that & she's running really well now for a 34 year old engine.

What makes me mad is I called 3 local outboard service centers in may area and they all told me they would not touch it as shes too old.

With the manual I downloaded its just like working on my old moped 30 years ago :D

Should I do anything else before taking her out, replace the oil etc. It sounds a bit of a task (need pump?) and as the service center wont touch her its all down to me.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, from the video it is pumping plenty of water so leave in the existing impeller but check on water volume frequently. Check to see if there is water in the lower unit oil and while you are doing that you may as well replace it. It is neither difficult nor expensive. You can buy an oil pump to fill the lower unit at Wal Mart and other big box stores and it most auto stores. Some will carry marine grade lower unit oil, some will not. you just need to look for it.

While it is running well now, fuel pump diaphragms do age and harden. You may want to replace the diaphragm and gasket now or you may want to have one on hand and wait until it starts giving problems. Look up online and buy a gasket and diaphragm for a 35-50 Force if they don't show the parts for your Chrysler.

kudos1uk

Cadet

Thanks, I will change the oil in the morning.

I have found a small problem, there was a water leak from the thermostat cover, I replaced the gasket but found there was no thermostat in there.

foodfisher

Captain

Not knowing your location! it might not not matter. BUT, if your running in cold waters it will hinder performance. Thermostats have a reason for being there.

kudos1uk

Cadet

Im in the UK so waters are quite cold but not really bad.

I can't find the thermostat listed even on the US sites, only the thermostat cover.

I will ask about parts when I pick up the oil later as the only websites I can find that list parts are US sites. In-store they might give me a better idea of what parts are still available here.

Thanks again.