Launching/Retrieving Help

Davewastasi

Recruit
Hi all, my dad and I just picked up a used 1995 nitro160tf and it has been running great for us however we are both new to boating and have a couple issues we need help with. We have gone out several times now and today i noticed a quarter-sized chunk taken out of the boat on both sides in the exact spot-when boat is loaded on the trailer they are directly in the middle of the wheelwell. we have to be doing something wrong when launching and retrieving but for the life of me i cant figure it out. ANY ideas what we are doing wrong or what it is rubbing/hitting??? Also how do we fix the fiberglass in the least expensive way? thanks everyone for their help

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Launching/Retrieving Help

My idea is that the boat is hitting the top of the wheel well as you travel. Has noting to do with how you are loading, more to do with adjustments of the trailer (bunks or rollers).

superbenk

Commander

My idea is that the boat is hitting the top of the wheel well as you travel. Has noting to do with how you are loading, more to do with adjustments of the trailer (bunks or rollers).

This was my thought as well.

As for fixing the fiberglass, look for MarineTex. It's an epoxy you mix together and wipe into the gouges. When it hardens it'll be hard like the gelcoat. You can sand it smooth.

Davewastasi

Recruit

I have done by best to provide pics but the chips are nearly impossible to get a pic of while the boat is loaded since they are both directly center behind the wheel well. thanks for all the help

the boat has been with the same trailer since 1996 so i do not believe it is a problem with it or during traveling

boat1.jpgboat2.jpgboat3.jpgboat4.jpgboat5.jpg

Davewastasi

Recruit

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree it sounds like your boat is bouncing on the wheel wells (fenders). Typically that would cause a rubbed-off place, but not a quarter-sized gouge. You must be pounding it pretty hard. If so, this could mean your trailer frame is weak (rusted) from the inside.

On a 17' boat my rear cross piece rusted out and when it collapsed, the hull was resting on the fenders. Check that out before raisnig your rollers.
There shouldn't be much movement between the hull and the fenders; many traiilers are set up with very low clearance there.

superbenk

Commander

Are you slamming into the end of the trailer when you retrieve (ie, waves causing boat to bounce)? Maybe try backing the trailer in a bit deeper next time to see if it gives more clearance.

tpenfield

Staff member

Now that I see the pictures . . . not hitting the wheel wells, but maybe a frame member beneath.

Otherwise, it could be that you are not putting the trailer in deep enough and catching the boat's chines on the back of the trailer as you launch and retrieve. Next time take a good look at what/where things are coming in contact between boat and trailer.

Philster

Captain

I suspect all of the above along with a shallow-angled ramp.

Davewastasi

Recruit

Are you slamming into the end of the trailer when you retrieve (ie, waves causing boat to bounce)? Maybe try backing the trailer in a bit deeper next time to see if it gives more clearance.

thanks for the help and advice everyone. The general opinion to fix the gouges is marine tex......but my question is which one as i noticed several types, and how much (oz) should i buy? Thanks in advance

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That appears to be a more visible area so I wouldn't use Marine Tex because it is an epoxy based product and you be able to match the color. Get a fiberglass repair kit (polyester) and have Tracker Marine send you a small bottle of pigment to match the color. They may even have a complete kit for you. Marine Tex is great stuff and tough as nails but I only use it on places that aren't seen.