88spl running great but have to use the warm up lever on warm restarts?

rothfm

Ensign
My 1995 Rude 88Spl is running real well after alot of work on it this winter. Idles great, plenty of smooth power. It really purrs. This issue is minor and I can live with it, but thought I'd ask..............

When its warm and shut down- and restarted, I have to use the warm up lever a bit, to get it to fire up again. Once its started it will idle fine after backing off the warm up lever. I was thinking maybe my 95,95,95,95 compression was the cause but it runs so well otherwise. I monitor head temps very closely-no issues there.

recently, I did bring up idle (in gear) a bit to avoid a slight intermittant low rpm stall. But otherwise, I'm really pleased with the reliability and power.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just for background I've done: T-stats, head exams and Gaskets, Coils & plugs, wires, All-hoses, water pump kit, link&Sync, and the nice new paint job and orig replication decals (hey, looks are important too!!).

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 88spl running great but have to use the warm up lever on warm restarts?

If engine works, live with it.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression reading are nice and even which is great. Being that they are on the low side though, you may be experiencing some back pressure while in the water. Neutral and Idling in the water, RPM range should be 750-800.

Haffiman

Commander

Compression reading are nice and even which is great. Being that they are on the low side though, you may be experiencing some back pressure while in the water. Neutral and Idling in the water, RPM range should be 750-800.

With forward gear and boat moving 'freely'.

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same engine (1995 88 spl) and it has a very set routine for starting dead cold, but will turn over in 5 seconds or less - much better than the 60 seconds of sputtering and stalling when I first got it - primer bulb pumped hard, fast idle up slightly (1500 rpm), turn key to run position, push key for slow count of 5, and then crank. Usually catches in a second or two. If it sits for 20 minutes or less it will turn over with a bump of the key, 60 minutes or less then I need to push in the key for a five count. Anything past an hour, I'm back to the cold start ritual.

I guess my point is that once you figure out what works, stick with it. A 17 year old saltwater outboard with all original innards that starts everytime and is rock solid reliable - I'll deal with going through the ritual.