1993 C85TLRR tilt and trim issue & more questions.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I recently starting having a issue with my tilt and trim on this motor. At first it started to lower/raise slower then normal. Then on the water it wouldn't go back up or down. We had to force it back up which was a pain. After testing at home I found it will go up and down if you hold the button down for like 15-20 secs. IT slowly starts then it starts running good after you keep it moving. Just need some suggestions of fixes with this issue. The motor starts right up so could it still even be the battery? I've read it could be the relay.. where can I find that?

Here is the diagrams: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partvie...RD_MOTORS)/POWER_TRIM_&_TILT_(C85TLRR_-_1993)

I also tested the compression and I have the Yamaha official service manual and I couldn't find anything in regards to normal compression PSI. All Three cylinders tested around 91-93psi is this OK? Also I read that Yamaha ring free is a great additive to use to keep rings and cylinders clean is seafoam just as good? (due to price lol)

Final question: I'm thinking about going with a new prop. I'm wondering which prop would be overall best for pulling/speed/gas usage. Current I'm using: Yamaha Part 6E5-45945-01-00 AL.PROP 13-1/4X17.

Here is prop list: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partvie...TBOARD_MOTORS)/LOWER_DRIVE_2_(C85TLRR_-_1993)

and I have attached a image of props you can use from the service manual.

Thanks for the assistance!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 C85TLRR tilt and trim issue & more questions.

By decarb do you mean clean the carbs? Cause the carbs where just rebuilt. The compression tester is fairly cheap came from harbor freight so I wouldn't be surprised if it was off a little. The boat runs great tops out around 36-37 mph.

Also thanks for the link, but doesn't seem to have an option for my boat/motor. Also wanted to mention the boat is a 1993 18ft fish/ski excel 18DX VHULL roughly around 1-2ton guessing. Best bang for you buck does apply here as well lol, but if the 200-300 dollar props will give a big performance boost I wouldn't rule it out though.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By decarb he meant cleaning the carbon build-up from the cylinders, more importantly the rings on the pistons. They sometimes get loaded up with carbon and will not provide as high of compression since they are not functioning fully. Search for decarb procedure and something should pop up that will guide you through this. Using ring free will help keep them clean, but starting off clean is the more important factor, hence the decarb procedure first.

Could also be the harbor freight gauge, I have an air chuck with built in gauge from them that regularly tells me I've put about 120 psi in my car tires! But a decarb never hurts.

For the prop/top out question, we need to know what RPM you are topping out at, not what MPH speed. If your engine is running at low rpms but still making that speed, it can lead to carbon build up actually. Check the manual, but I think WOT RPMs should be in the 5000-5300 range? If not, decreasing pitch a tad might help.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also forgot to give some feedback on the tilt/trim issue...it could also be a bad/weak trim motor. You can try tapping on it with a hammer or screwdriver handle while pushing the trim button. If it starts moving stronger then it is the insides of you trim motor that are in trouble, getting it rebuilt or ordering one is your fix. I've had good luck with this place, dbelectrical.com

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thx for the input! The Service manual states 4,500-5,500 RPMs. So the goal is to go with prop that produces the most RPMs? Can't really test them out before you buy lol. Not exactly sure what mine is running at max due to laser/spark plug attachment tach meter I'm using and I've only to obtained idle speed so far. The OEM version is like $200 is there any other after market tachs that will work a bit cheaper? May just need to pony up lol.

Yeah I guess I can "decarb" by running the seafoam spray kit in the carbs then. I also have another Compression tester on the way with good reviews. Harbor has some OK stuff but I've had issues with some of there air meters as well. Should be getting around 100-120 PSI right?

I guess I'll try a new battery before jumping the gun on the trim issue, but couldn't it just be low on hydraulic fluid as well? Also given the fact it starts working well after toying with it makes me thing it maybe be a voltage issue. I'll do some more investigation and if it leads to motor failure I'll check that site out.

Thanks!

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update to the trim issues.. I've tried mulitple solutions with no luck:
-New battery
- New trim relay
- tested lines all showing 12v
- put fresh fluid in the T&T unit
- lines and contacts corrosion/rust free sanded and cleaned.

If you hold the trim button up and down it would eventually work, but now after all the testing it's not working anymore. What else could be causing the issue I'm baffled? the relay is brand new but it's still making the click noise like the old one. I installed everything with the battery unplugged.

Could it be this?
6G5-81960-A0-00 RECTIFIER & REGULATOR (trim relay plugs into this)

I know it's not the STARTER RELAY cause I plugged the 12v line directly into the trim relay, and the engine starts and runs fine.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

T&T motor has magnets glued to the outer case, if they com loose it will bind up motor.
I found that out by tapping on motor and that froze the motor up, knocked the magnets loose.

You can see if putting 12 from battery directly to motor leads will make it run, but make sure you disconnect the leads from the relay 1st. You do not want to short anything out.

There is a type of fuse inside motor and brushes that can go bad also,along with the winding that can go bad.

A DC clamp on ammeter and volt meter could help troubleshoot if the motor is getting power or not

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny thing is it worked just fine after letting it sit for 30-40 mins just now. Granted I had to hold the tilt longer then normal it tilted up and down just fine then just stopped again. It seems to be doing this each time. Are the magnets inside the hydraulic lift or in the cylinders to the left and right of the lift. Will I have to pull the motor off to check those? The cylinders have screws in the back where you can't get to. Also where are the trim motor leads to test that?

Thanks!

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Upon further research it seems I may just need a new trim motor, which runs around $90 aftermarket. Has anyone one around here used those aftermarket trim motors are they reliable as OEM?

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok got the new T&T motor and replaced the RECTIFIER & REGULATOR and still no dice!!! Wasting tons of money on this and haven't gotten anywhere. It still doing the same thing it will work shortly after holding down tilt then after a couple times of working it just stops for about 10-30 mins. Tested with the T&T motor out and it doesn't start spinning unless I hold it down just like when installed and stops working as well.

My last guess it's the tilt and trim controller on the throttle. This motor doesn't have a controller on the motor that I can find at least. Any other ideas on there hopefully I don't have to spend tons more to figure this puzzle out. What about the ground wires I checked all them and seems good.. I've heard it won't work at all if there is a ground issue.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

upon further testing I've found 12v on just about everything that needs power. I've placed the new T&T motor directly on battery terminals (again) green hot blue neg, and it would spin and will stop after that and won't work exactly like the trim is doing. Should the T&T always constantly spin when hit with 12v or does it turn off as a safety feature or something when not installed? So I assume my relay is shorting out the T&T motors? I do hear like a electrical pop something when trying to tilt rarely. As mentioned before everything was installed with the battery unplugged. The battery is new and I even tested on other 12v batteries I have around and it's the same results. Not sure where to go from here.

robert graham

Admiral

Don't suppose it could be a warn tilt/trim switch?...bad/dirty contacts?..

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

upon further testing I've found 12v on just about everything that needs power. I've placed the new T&T motor directly on battery terminals (again) green hot blue neg, and it would spin and will stop after that and won't work exactly like the trim is doing. Should the T&T always constantly spin when hit with 12v or does it turn off as a safety feature or something when not installed? So I assume my relay is shorting out the T&T motors? I do hear like a electrical pop something when trying to tilt rarely. As mentioned before everything was installed with the battery unplugged. The battery is new and I even tested on other 12v batteries I have around and it's the same results. Not sure where to go from here.

motor should turn when hooked to 12V battery.
I do not see how the relay could hurt motor

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just found out it is the motors both where locked up I guess. As recommended by 99yam40 I did tap the trim motor, but not in the right spot I guess. Now it works fine after a nice couple "taps" lol.. Live and learn I guess. the brand new motor must of got locked during shipping cause taps fixed it as well.

Thanks for the help everyone and hopefully they keep running smoothly at least I know now. Now I need to try to ebay some of these OEM parts lol.

Don't suppose it could be a warn tilt/trim switch?...bad/dirty contacts?..