Evinrude Starflite starts only by hand; rectifier disabled

ERTrent

Recruit
Calling all experts, again ...
I recently bought a 1962 Larson runabout and trailer that came with an Evinrude Starflite 75 (manual shifter/transmission). It is an old but quite useable package. The motor shows evidence of having had its lower end recently rebuilt, and also what also appears to be a shiny new solenoid (as identified by a forum member via a photo I sent on June 10). However, a similarly identified rectifier proves to be entirely disconnected (wiring is clipped and taped)

The motor will not start via the electric starter. The motor did fire and run quite happily on the second pull of the starter cord, but when I turn the key, I heard only a loud click. Yesterday, I did not even get that.

My new question is two- or threefold:
A) Should I replace the rectifier?
B) How do I do that if all wiring is clipped, taped off and tucked away?

I attach three images (new solenoid; old, disabled rectifier; motor cowling).
Once again, I look forward to your wisdom and insights,
Thank you,
ERTrent

Attachments

• rectifier.jpg
    rectifier.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • evinrude2.jpg
    evinrude2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Starflite starts only by hand; rectifier disabled

OK, that is a voltage regulator, not a rectifier. Look on the motor for a belt driven generator. I suspect it went bad. The VR doesn't look too good either. if the ign is magneto, the generator is a luxury, not a necessity.

Let's fix the electric start function. Do some voltage checks to see if voltage gets to the starter. Jumper the starter from the battery and see if she will crank the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Starflite starts only by hand; rectifier disabled

See if it has a magneto which I think it does. If the plug wires point down coming out of it, it's a mag. If it has a mag, don't worry about the voltage reg, as you don't need it. You may want to post a few pics with the hood off.