Mercruiser Laynard help

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good day

I am replacing my aging switches and related equipment. I have an older 1988 twin 350 mag set up and the laynards are bypassed. I ordered a couple new ones and went to replace but the ones I managed to get are closed for engine kill while the original ones were open which cut the ignition power for engine kill.

Instead of trying to reorder I got thinking and was wondering if the tach leads come in from the neg side of the coil and if grounding the tach lead through the new laynard would be okay as an engine kill?

I do not really want to get into adding a relay in it and figured I could save myself another laynard if the grounding idea would work.

Thanks
Mat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Laynard help

What is the part number of the switch you have, and who sells it?

Perhaps your bypassed switches still work, but were just bypassed to keep them from being used.

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The switches are not Merc products and they were ordered online, not sure of the make but they must not have been the type I was looking for.

The original bypassed ones have broken springs so the plungers are in all the time so they have had it.

Any idea if killing the engine through the tach lead will work and does it pose a risk to the thunderbolt ignition unit?

Thanks
Mat

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Use the correct switches. If using those you have were a viable option there would have been no need to create separate magneto (what you have) and battery ignition (what you should have) switches.

Bondo

Staff member

Good day

I am replacing my aging switches and related equipment. I have an older 1988 twin 350 mag set up and the laynards are bypassed. I ordered a couple new ones and went to replace but the ones I managed to get are closed for engine kill while the original ones were open which cut the ignition power for engine kill.

Instead of trying to reorder I got thinking and was wondering if the tach leads come in from the neg side of the coil and if grounding the tach lead through the new laynard would be okay as an engine kill?

I do not really want to get into adding a relay in it and figured I could save myself another laynard if the grounding idea would work.

Thanks
Mat

Ayuh,... I think Silvertip is got it,...

You've got Outboard kill switches, 'n ya need I/O switches...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many of the aftermarket switches have 4 terminals, 2 for normally open, and 2 for normally closed. Does yours? If it only has 2 terminals, then you have the wrong type.

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep they are mag kill, they do not have both normally open and normally closed wiring taps.

I have to order a replacement depth gauge probably from here so I will pick up a couple seadog universal units.

Thanks for all the help.

Mat