double your salary?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would you leave family and friends and move cross country to double your salary?

JRJ

Commander
Re: double your salary?

Maybe......Would depend on more than the money. I moved my family many times. Kind of hard looking back and wondering if the family might have been better off without a few of my smooth moves..........Good luck.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think we need more info. Number of family left behind, ages? Time expected in new position? Locale? Years to retirement, what does this do to that? etc. etc.

Also depends on what you mean by "cross country". There is a good reason there are 15 Million of us here in So Cal. Easy to dismiss until you've lived through a full year. We have the best weather in the world, almost without challenge. But that all assumes it's So Cal. Add in that the state is broke, and we have other issues, and what you think of winter, summer. Do you like visitors? I know a number of Brits that have done it, and they wouldn't go back, and that was for even money, so it just depends on all of the factors. They get a steady flow of visitors winter and summer ;)

What about boating? Type? Walkarounds are very popular here. Some decent fishing. Lol.

Phoenix? Bay Area? Seattle? Portland? All have their pluses and minuses.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have had in the past MANY very lucrative job offers overseas working within foreign countries, I had a great job offer from the movie industry in California which would have meant constant world travel.............. I turned them down because family comes first.

Now that I am a grandfather with grand kids 3 miles away....... I am glued to my location :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I was faced with that one time. A friend of mine offered me a job with HP in the San Jose area. He told me he could double my salary. My reply was, maybe, but the cost of living is three times as high. I stayed where I was. That was thirty years ago and I have no regrets.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on the fishing opportunuties, and if leaving your family means wife which I'm sure it doesn't. Also, how homesick
do you think you will get. My buddy moved from Washington state to Virginia because his wife was offered a far more lucrative salary but they fly back home 3-4 times a year because of family sickness, weddings, new grandchildren, homesick etc. I left my wife for a cut in pay when I joined the US Marines :confused: That is a hard one dingbat. I would do some serious introspection, and go with your gut - pulling up roots is a tumultuous prospect! If you do there will be more fish in the Chesapeake for me to catch :p

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Lots of families pick up and move, up here most people follow the mines (copper, diamond, gold ETC) and the oil industry.
"MOST" other people get them selfs in a position were they do 28 days in and 28 days out or 14 and 7, ETC.
Company pays the LOA and the plane ride in and out.
So if you have the opportunity to make great coin over a short period and they're going to pick up the camp tab/LOA and you can retire early, go for it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did that and moved my family several times. Don't regret it. No way would I have left family behind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

yes, however it wasnt double the salary. the family and friends came to visit often. skype helps as well.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Moved my family from England to Ontario, Canada back in 1989 for both the hefty increase in salary and the job availability. As most of you know I do a lot of travelling for the company I work for now but it is 4 or 5 times a year and usually for around the 2 week mark give or take a few days. Tough being away from everyone but only started to do this when the children were all 17 + years old.
Vast lifestyle improvement as well as job security and a very good pension when I decide to retire.
However if I had to do it alone and leave the family behind in another country it would have been a completely different matter.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If I was making $9 an hour, doubling to 18, no.

If I was making 60k or more, doubling to ???, you bet, depending on location. Some places are just not an option.

Triton II

Commander

I moved my family back home to Oz, leaving a lucrative, immensely enjoyable job located in Europe. The weather, the crowds, the expensive food etc got to me after 13 years there and I HAD to come home. My family agreed and we upped sticks. That was 20 years ago. I had no job lined up at the time, but after a couple of weeks here I was offered work (terrible money) and took it. I'll never regret the decision, I now have a great job, with a little bit of travel involved but nothing onerous, and me and the family LOVE being home! I'll take lifestyle over money every day of the week! :)

TII

angus63

Captain

Only you know the best choice for you. When my last Co. moved to PA and offered to relocate my family with a very generous salary package, WE decided to stay. Family is here and kids are rooted. I took a cut to do something with more satisfaction rewards than the cash difference. Been five yrs and I am thrilled with the choice. New job allows me time to commercial fish on the side and make up some of the income too. Happier than ever!!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Everyone is different. I started in the boat manufacturing business in MN. Stayed in the business my whole career. Moved my family several times, each time for an increase in pay or title. Lived in MN, WI, NC, MI, WA, FL. Sometimes in different locations in the same state. Always discussed the moves with my family first. One stretch my two kids went to 6 different schools in three states in 8 years. Kids always made friends in every case. I think they got more education by living in different parts of the country than they did in school. Both are college grads and now have their own families and doing well. I don't regret any moves and I retired near both my sons and my grandkids.

Before my first move I had an elderly friend tell me a story of an opportunity he turned down and regretted it in later years. He said don't put yourself in a position to have to someday say "I wonder what if? Well, I don't "wonder what if?" I did it!

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

VT is the only state true to 2A rights, therefore, VT is the only state I want to live in, regardless of money.

As for leaving family, I moved 5hrs away from my family, I see them at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and maybe once or twice in the summer.

Love em, just have to take them in small doses. Always preferred to do my own thing and I feel judged when Im around them.

jkust

Rear Admiral

No, I could do my job from the moon as long as I can get to the airport so there is not benefit in leaving where I choose to live. One of my friends that does exactly what I do just got a job as the CEO of a very large, multinational, financial company. They wanted him and obviously his family to move to NY and he said no and the let him stay here in MN. He went from 7 figures to much higher 7 figures with perks to beat the band. On the other hand I've got a friend that works for Microsoft that has been on a contract now around 8 or so years and lives several states away 5 days a week and only comes home on the weekend to see his wife and kids. His wife refuses to leave MN.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I think we need more info. Number of family left behind, ages? Time expected in new position? Locale? Years to retirement, what does this do to that? etc. etc.

Also depends on what you mean by "cross country". There is a good reason there are 15 Million of us here in So Cal. Easy to dismiss until you've lived through a full year. We have the best weather in the world, almost without challenge. But that all assumes it's So Cal. Add in that the state is broke, and we have other issues, and what you think of winter, summer. Do you like visitors? I know a number of Brits that have done it, and they wouldn't go back, and that was for even money, so it just depends on all of the factors. They get a steady flow of visitors winter and summer ;)

What about boating? Type? Walkarounds are very popular here. Some decent fishing. Lol.

Phoenix? Bay Area? Seattle? Portland? All have their pluses and minuses.

I actually turned down 2 offers in the past 10 years. The first was to transfer to our office in La Jolla, California. While I liked the weather, I wasn?t impressed with the area as a whole and the financial incentive didn?t make up the difference. We decided to stay put.

Last month, I was offered a Directors? position at our office in Shanghai, PRC. I turned down the offer because the timing wasn?t right. We have a daughter starting college in the fall and a second daughter 2 years behind her. Had the offer come up when the girls were finished with school, we would have moved to China for 5 years and come home and retired early.