Engine won't stop running when key turned off.

alrosanes

Recruit
Replaced alternator which was damaged by turning battery off while engine was running. Replaced alternator. Turned key on and started engine. Runs perfectly. Turned key off but engine keeps running. Key switch works correctly. Battery voltage applied to coil when key turned on, alternator voltage appears at coil after engine started. Anyone have any suggestions as to why the engine worn't turn off when key turned off?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine won't stop running when key turned off.

What are we working on?

alrosanes

Recruit

Just found out there is supposed to be a diode (resistor) in the Field circuit. Does it go between the field terminal and the battery without going through the ignition switch or does the field get disconnected by the ignition swith?

Don S

You keep asking questions, when are you going to tell us what engine you are working on. We aren't mind readers.

alrosanes

Recruit

Volva Penta conversion of a chevy 350 small block in a 1976 Chris Craft Lancer with outdrive. The alternator is a 3 wire unit driven by the main belt.

Don S

Look at the starter solenoid, and see if the main battery terminal is touching the outside small terminal. This would keep power on the ignition circuit if it's touching.
That engine did have a resistor on the alternator, looks like the picture below. Did you see it on your old alternator when you took it off?

resistor 834784 copy.jpg

alrosanes

Recruit

Yep, I have that resistor device on my alternator but when I put an ohmeter on it it was a dead short. Just bought another from volvo which has a measurable resistance when checked with an ohmeter but have not yet installed it. Too hot to work on the boat.

leakywire

Cadet

I have a 1984 aq125a with this scenario, I have been reading here for years but finally joined to get help with this nagging problem. The boat I recently purchased had been hacked in every electrical area however I did not find the =gizmo= in the bilge as I did some other parts and the wire feeding the coil is shared with a wire to the alternator that is also shared to the starter solenoid.
My question is the value of the resistor or is this really a blocking diode to prevent the cranking motor from being activated once the motor is already running?
I have almost solved all the other problems thanx to patiently reading here, soon I will dip the drive into a water tank before the maiden voyage after removing 75lbs of black tape concealing the savage mechanics tricks.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1984 aq125a with this scenario, I have been reading here for years but finally joined to get help with this nagging problem. The boat I recently purchased had been hacked in every electrical area however I did not find the =gizmo= in the bilge as I did some other parts and the wire feeding the coil is shared with a wire to the alternator that is also shared to the starter solenoid.
My question is the value of the resistor or is this really a blocking diode to prevent the cranking motor from being activated once the motor is already running?
I have almost solved all the other problems thanx to patiently reading here, soon I will dip the drive into a water tank before the maiden voyage after removing 75lbs of black tape concealing the savage mechanics tricks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... When ya start a thread of yer Own,...

Insteada Hy-jackin' somebody else's,...

There's a pretty good chance, you'll get the Help yer lookin' for....

leakywire

Cadet

Sorry Bond-o, you can erase the post as I made a new thread