Starter Clicks Once and does not turn over

mccutchen

Recruit
I have a 2005 5.0 L Mercruiser Sterndrive. I was out in the gulf and started running up on a sandbar (because of very out of date charts I found out) so I quickly went into neutral and trimmed up. Boat was still floating and motor was still running just fine. It ran for several minutes before I decided to kill it, jump out and push us out to deeper water. When I jumped back into to start it, it turned over maybe half a rotation and then nothing. When I tried again, just completely dead, no click or anything. Tried to jump start and still nothing, as if I had no battery.

Once I returned home, I confirmed my brand new battery (this was the first time I went out on this battery actually), was in fact still at 100% according to my charger. Everything else still works, trim, radio, etc. Now that I am home, I'll get a single click or rarely up to 3 clicks but it does not attempt to turn over. I tried shorting the solenoid on the top of the engine and I get the same results, one click and then nothing. This tells me it's not the ignition, the neutral safety switch or the solenoid.

My guess is it's the starter but could it also be hydrolocked? What else could it be with a single click? Cables all look clean and tight though I can't really see the cables on the starter itself because it's deep in there and very difficult to get to. Thanks for the help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Clicks Once and does not turn over

My guess is it's the starter but could it also be hydrolocked? What else could it be with a single click?

Pull the spark plugs out and see if it cranks over. The battery cables are tight aren't they? I don't mean with your fingers and wingnuts, I mean tight with a wrench.

mccutchen

Recruit

OK, I'll try with no spark plugs and tightening the wing nuts with a wrench. They are just finger tight right now. Anything else I should try?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are just finger tight right now.

And a lot of people get towed in because they do that. Wing nuts should be outlawed on marine batteries. Use nylocs and a wrench.