Anchors?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Hey everyone...

Need a little input on anchors!? I have successfully used fluke anchors in the past where I boat, seems most recently I'm having troubles getting the anchors to hold? Needless to say taking longer than 10 minutes to set seems excessive. we mostly like to anchor and put the floaties in the water so the kids can play/frolic.

I'm sure some of it has to do where we boat, but I see others anchor w/o much issues.

What are some of the better anchors for lakes/reservoirs?

Boat weighs 1,200lbs, outboard 350lbs, people and gear max is 950lbs. boat is 18'-4" mostly shallow draft.

Thanks in advance.

~Brett

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Anchors?

how much line are you letting out?

do you have an anchor chain?

cant go wrong with a danforth anchor, or any other fluke type.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The fastest anchor to put out and get a good set in your conditions is a Box Anchor. In a small boat it will stow flat and you don't need chain on the rode, although you could put a length on. It also can be on a shorter scope so it is easier to stay close to shore. They cost more.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Someone here turned me onto the Digger Anchor. I have the 15#. No chain required.
largeimage439.jpg

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The best anchor type depends on whats on the bottom of the lake. If the fluke anchor worked before, it still should be OK. A six foot length of chain (the rode) would help if you don't already have one. Using the proper amount of anchor line also helps. Use at least 3 times the depth and possibly more if that doesn't hold well.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMHO we DO need chain. There is no shortage of sharp and abrasive stuff down there. Even WITH chain, Davey Jones got my anchor once. You don't want to be next.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanks for the replys...I've had to replace my fluke style w/chain for one with out, the 6' length of chain make a difference in grip? I'll add it to mine a.s.a.p.

I may get that digger one too, I've heard good things about it?!

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Add the chain to your new anchor and you will probably be fine.

wi4x4man

Seaman

In my experience, a Bruce / Claw style anchor works the best. The Fluke / Danforth anchors work good in soft bottoms, but can skip on rocky bottoms. I have had my claw bite into rocky areas where my previous Danforth wouldn't. It also re-set's itself in the event that the wind changes direction. The last thing you want to have happen is a storm come up in the middle of the night and need to somehow reset your anchor with your stern pointing to the rocks in 8' swells.

Aside from using chain, you want to let out as much as seven times the rode that your depth is. So if you are anchored in 10 feet of water, you want 70 feet of rode out. In terms of chain, I have seen multiple different perspectives, but the one I hold by is 1/2' chain for every foot of boat length. Makes it heavy to lift sometimes, but it helps keep the anchor dug in.

Of course, I am used to spending the nights in Lake Superior storms, my boat is a quite a bit longer, and at 15,000 lbs, has significantly more displacement than your boat does. So for me, anchoring is a big deal.

Last edited:

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ I'll be on Superior (Bayfield, Cornucopia area) during the 4th.... My boat's a little smaller than yours though.:facepalm:

bgc

Ensign

2nd, on rode being 7 times the depth and 6-10 feet of chain minimum.

Determine what types of bottoms you will be anchoring in and select the type on anchor that best suits your needs.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like has been said. For a muddy lake bottom a mushroom works great. Our lake is about 100' deep so no way I'm dropping 700' of line. I let out about 120' and the anchor never moves.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't know where your boating here in Colorado where a Danforth doesn't work but mine holds just fine, 150' of rode, 20' of chain and a 20 lb Danforth, never had a problem Colorado or Nebraska.

I rarely need all 150' of rode though.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Applying a little logic: anchor with chain worked fine, new anchor withou chain (assuming same size) didn't hold well. So I agree sdding the chain back should solve your problem.

Btw, chain does 3 things: protects against sharp objects, absorbs a little of the upward momentum of the boat in a wave, makes the forces pulling on the anchor more toward horizontal than verticle.

Good luck...

Sea ya...

wi4x4man

Seaman

You have to realize that it depends on the lake and the risk you want to take. For instance... Lake Superior has one hell of a reputation to sink ships, let alone small recreational boats. It is also not usually the waves that sink the boat, but the bottom that does. If I was out in my 19' runabout on one of the local lakes in my area, it wouldn't be so big of a deal, and I problably wouldn't let out 7 times the rode to the depth. On that boat, I too have a Danforth. But, I am not sound asleep when the anchor is out, the weather is perfect, and the waves max out at 2 feet.

As long as you feel comfortable with your anchor and rode, you are fine. If you don't feel comfortable, then change it. I prefer to feel comfortable and not be up all night during a storm looking to see if I am moving in the wrong direction.

One last thing about the Bruce / Claw anchors, is that they do not stow easy unless you have a large area to put it or a bow roller setup to keep it mounted to the bow when not in use. The Danforth on the other hand, is much better for storage.

OllieC, you may very well see me up there the same time. That is the area I go to all of the time.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

^^^wi4x4man - On the Iron Horse? Well depending on the weather, I'll be coming from Corni. I'll look for you. I have no name yet....but new navy canvas.:)

I have a claw in a bag and it's a pain to stow in my cuddy.

wi4x4man

Seaman

Yes sir, the Iron Horse. And, I will be towing a little gray dinghy named "Iron Pony"... It is only fitting after all.

Got some work to do though before I go out again. The flybridge steering needs to be primed after I did some work to it and lost some hydraulic fluid. Need to put my new bow roller setup on too as the current arrangement just sucks. A few other odds and ends, but we will be out there.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I'll look into the danforth style of anchor as well. I would guess the chain is the way to go as my last one had it and the one I bought advertised "no chain needed" :facepalm:

As far as where I boat and my anchoring style, I mostly boat in res. as stated, they have a mix of mud/sand/rocks (shale) and usually I get lucky and catch an old tree root or branch...we haven't "stayed" on the boat over night, as it's not big enough nor designed for it, but we are known to leave it in overnight from time to time. That's usually in soft sand and I use a screw-in dog leash anchor after waking up in my camper and not seeing my boat where I left it. Found it about a mile away in a cove reanchored prior to hitting a shore in about 6' of water...luckily, no damage!

Again, thanks for all the input, I only have so much room to store stuff and the best fit anchor (maybe 2) will be stowed.

~Brett

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Brett are you going this weekend? I will probably be going to Chatfield tomorrow and Pueblo this weekend baring any unforseen honeydo's....

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Lipp,

Not this weekend, we went last Friday and Sunday (father's day) Pueblo...fun if you like lots of chop and a better than 80% chance of wind!

Seriously we try and avoid Pueblo on the weekends as it's usually a mess with all the bigger boats. Fridays are good and sometime Tuesdays (wife and I both have off). We prefer Lake Meredith in Ordway as it's too shallow for anything bigger than 21' and the real deep V cuddys would risk all the shallower sand bars. SIDE NOTE: we haven't been to Meredith this year yet as last year it was down by 2-3' which when it's 10' at it deepest, that's a lot!!! Soon?!

We are heading up to Taylor Park Reservoir Friday-Sunday...no boat, just some camping. This is predicated on some friends getting their camper back from service at Camping World in Fountain? If they don't we may head down Friday...maybe camp too? If we do, I will PM you and we can hook up for a beer (my treat of course!) look for a red metal-flake Baja, chances are it's us.

We've really come to love camping and boating at Horsetooth Reservoir in Ft. Collins as the campsites are right on the water in the Inlet Bay cove and leaving the boat overnight is nothing too complicated...just tie rope to a stump and give the boat a quick pull! We're up there July 12-15th and again in August 9-12th!

~Brett