1985 E50BELCO 50 horse that is overheating at idle

jc927

Recruit
Recently purchased a 1985 E50BELCO with tiller conversion, the motor did not idle well before I got it, but I have gotten all that worked out now, with one lingering issue, it alarms on temp when idling (long constant beep). The VRO has been bypassed on this motor (unplugged sensors and capped oil path on motor. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, performed sync and link, changed water pump, thermostats and confirmed all water passages are flowing via segmentation of the motor, flowed through foot via ear muffs (with foot off the motor and with manual turning of the prop can see pump turning through water tube (no slipping)), blown through all passages with water and air, all clear. The motor runs great, responsive, etc, but at idle it is overheating, as soon as I give it some gas, the temp goes back down (confirmed with infrared thermometer). Back to idle and alarm triggers again. The last part of my trouble shooting included removing the heads to confirm there is no blockage in the head, it had minor build up, etc, but was mostly clear, I cleaned the water passages up and removed the carbon from the piston heads, reassembled the head, and buttoned it all up. I did notice minor scoring on the lower cylinder walls, but nothing that was affecting compression. Don't remember what they were before I pulled the head, but did not cause alarm when I checked it before I bought the motor. I have also tested the temp sensor with meter and infrared temp reader, seems to trip around 220. I have listed a few questions below and any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated..

Questions:

1. What is the normal operating temp for this motor?
2. What is the temp where the sensor will trip an alarm?
3. What else am I missing, based on above information, I have thoroughly checked all passages and confirmed water flow from foot through "pee tube")

Additional questions:

What is the output of the Fuel pump (5-9 psi)? Considering replacing the VRO pump (port where fuel flows in is not very tight connection, concerned it may be leaking air in).
What is the Max RPM range for this motor?
What is the idle and max timing? I have set it at -4 to 19 (found via research, but would like confirmation), but the sticker on the motor has long since disapeared.

Thanks