The unbreakable head gasket replacement thread

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know a great deal of you are unfamiliar with the motor in question, but I thought maybe if this goes well it would be good to have it archived on iboats. Obviously you are all more than welcome to drop in any hints, tips or tricks along the way.

The motor: Albin 021 manual PDF here It’s in Swedish & English a little bit of scrolling takes you to the English version. It’s more of a spare parts reference but has god exploded diagrams.

After help on an earlier thread it’s been determined that there has indeed been a breach some place. I am beginning a deconstruction of the motor shortly and wil update my findings here.

I have never attempted anything so sophisticated before on a motor before so please bare with me.

First things first, removal of the head:

Headlock.jpg

I am a little concerned after 60 years of being bolted down it won't come up too easily. How much persuasion can you reasonable use to get it off?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The unbreakable head gasket replacement thread

Can you get the studs out? Or crank it over with the plugs in it, and use the compression to break it loose?

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll try and crank it with the plugs in that's a good idea. How do you mean get the studs out?

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Head came off with relative ease to reveal a not too shabby gasket.

However one of the vents, the exhaust vent I assume was jammed open. regardless of the cranking procedure.

See here

Lifted the inspection cover and looks like the rod has broken of come unattached

It's stuck in there pretty hard, I can ease it down with a few taps but I cannot get it out. Any ideas?

I am assuming the rod has gotten hot bent and snapped? I am also guessing this has lead to failure in the engine block, i'e a crack. The open valve does not explain the emulsification.

Here's an exploded diagram of the cylinder.

Any ideas iboats?

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am pretty much singing my own tune here but bare with me.

There is a valve on the exhaust manifold which allows you too toogle between sending water down the exhaust pipe, or sending it out directly over the side when closed. See diagram here.

I noticed when I started before it ticked over nicely as long as I had the valve closed, as soon as I opened it the motor bogged down and ran real bad, then the oil was emulsified.

Being that I now know that the exhuast valve outlet has been broken and has been jammed open this whole time, could it not be possible that when I tried to push the water down the exhaust pipe that the faulty valve was causing the induction motion of the cylinder to draw water into the cylinder? Is that far fetched. Am I wishing too hard for it not to be a cracked block?