In need of advise on my 25 Evinrude

Ron_J

Cadet
0617121242.jpg0617121241a.jpgI've been having trouble with the throttle on my '89 25hp Evinrude "bucking" back and bending the idle bracket. Well, yesterday I had it out and it hit it hard enough to break it. And went far enough that the cam (if I'm reading the diagram right) got jammed on the top op of the block. After I got that free and moving again, it would only pop on occasion, as if it wasn't getting fuel. If I lifted the fast idle lever it would sometimes idle but never wing up. I finally got it to idle long enough to get it in gear and it ran fine, but when I slowed down and put it in neutral it died and wouldn't start again.

I feel like the problem now is a linkage or something, but I can't see anything out of normal. But there still has to be a reason that it is hitting the idle stop so hard...any suggestions?

Last edited:

Haffiman

Commander
Re: In need of advise on my 25 Evinrude

The 'bucking back' might be caused by a faulty powerpack. Get a spark tester and hook up both plug leads, remove the plugs from engine. Slowly pull the rope, or crank with starter and notice the sparks. Sparks must alternate 1-2-1-2-.... and never spark both cylinders at the same time.
Another possibility is that your flywheel key is broken and the timing has gone totally out. To check, remove the flywheel and check the key, or hook up a timing light and check that timing is around TDC at idle/cranking. If you do not have a timing light, remove upper plug, use a screwdriver and hold against the piston and turn the engine until piston is at top. TDC marking on flywheel should align with marking on the starter bracket.

Ron_J

Cadet

I will give it a look tonight and see what I can find. Thanks

Ron_J

Cadet

I ended up just taking it to the mechanic. Turns out it was a bad CDi unit (power pack...I assume they are one in the same?). So far I've had to replace the ignition coil, stator and now this...hopefully that is the end of it for a while.