Basic Depth/fish finder

litman252

Cadet
Hello All,
I have a 1990 Glastron Sierra 175 that is new to me. I have no depth guage and would like to add one. I have not found a basic depth guage so I'm considering going to a basic fish finder. Could someone point me in the right direction?

I want a smaller display 3-4" as this is a ski/ cruzing boat 15 minutes for every one I'll fish. Exterior transom mount is desired.

Found this one, Huming Bird 325- http://store.humminbird.com/products/307113/325 Thoughts on this unit?

Thoughts on a better unit that is primarily for depth but temp and fish is a great bonus?

Thanks!
Tony

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Basic Depth/fish finder

welcome aboard. Seems to be as good of a unit as any. Temp comes standard on it. You won't have to get a toe wet. Fish are going to show up on it as arches anyway. The fish finder thingy just replaces the natural sonar returns(arches) with one of three sized fish pictures, at least on my Lawrence FF anyway. It is rumored here that those actually produces false results. Not sounding like a great bonus to me.

litman252

Cadet
Re: Basic Depth/fish finder

Thanks Steve. The more I look the less I want a big display that will be hard to fit above my dash. Might keep looking for a plan depth finder with a smaller display......

The search continues...

Thanks again,
Tony