1979 115hp IN-line 6 Fuel issues

Jim Berry

Cadet
I bought this 115hp motor last year and Have been trying to get it right since then. My last conversation was I thought the cables/timing needed to be adjusted. Motor would run but seemed to be missing amd also noticed that the last time out that my white boat was black on the back end. After talking with a friend we decided there was to much fuel going to carberators and we made the adjustment. Went out Friday morning and the motor finally ran great. I also ran some sea foam in gas. Ran the tank empty.
So today I wasl already to go out, Got the boat in the water. I noticed that after pumping the bulb 3 time it would not pump any more. Tried to start the engine and I could tell it was not getting gas. There was a little fuel leaking were the external hose connects to the motor. Got home and removed the fuel filter. I have gas going into the fuel filter and I stopped there. Surely there can not be any blockage past the fuel filter ? Do I need to start taking all my gas lines apart section by section ? I gues I should make sure I have fuel leaving the fuel pump. Any ideas ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 115hp IN-line 6 Fuel issues

when you say the primer bulb "after pumping the bulb 3 time it would not pump any more." did it fill up and become hard or did it stay collapsed? If it stays collaped it means blockage between the bulb and the fuel pickup in the tank, or the filter on the pickup is plugged. If the bulb fills up and gets hard, it might be fine as the carbs are full and the floats have closed the valves, or it means blockage between the bulb and the carbs. I did have the floats stick in my 83 115hp but they stuck open and the carbs were flooding. Running the tanks empty is not a good idea for at least 2 reasons. First of all it sucks all the crap in the tank. Second not all the carbs run out at the same time. the cylinders not getting gas are also not getting oil. I am assuming thid motor is a not an oil injected model.

Jim Berry

Cadet

There was still some gas in the gas tank. The bulb got hard. I have gas going into the fuel pump. I guess I will keep going from there - next is to see if I have gas going out of the fuel pump. re-did the fuel pump earlier this year. Motor is not oil injected

Jim Berry

Cadet

There was still some gas in the gas tank. The bulb got hard. I have gas going into the fuel pump. I guess I will keep going from there - next is to see if I have gas going out of the fuel pump. re-did the fuel pump earlier this year. Motor is not oil injected

More detail
I have gas coming out of my fuel pump. decided to add a little more fuel to the carberators. The motor started immediately. So I decided to go to the lake. motor started and ran in neutal fro several minutes, then began to shut down. I would have to keep pumpng the bulb in order to keep it running. It did this last year and I realized that the en-richer gas line was leaking/bad. Once that was fixed I never had to pump the bulb again. I must have another gas leak somewhere. Not finding it ! Could the bulb be bad How do you know ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Do you see lots of fuel in the water? If so, the fuel pump diaghram may be leaking. If not, you may have an airleak between the primer bulb and the fuelpump and she is sucking air.

Jim Berry

Cadet

Do you see lots of fuel in the water? If so, the fuel pump diaghram may be leaking. If not, you may have an airleak between the primer bulb and the fuelpump and she is sucking air.

Thanks for the support - I got a newfuel pump kit today - Will take another look at it tomorrow

Will let you know