New to the forum and also where is this oil coming from?

BDSip

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have been browsing the forum for a while now and needed a little help. I am new here but no to boats. I have owned a 26 Penn Yan sportfish, a 19 wellcraft eclipse, and just recently purchased a 81 Bayliner 2270 with a aq120b and volvo 270 leg. After going through the motor and drive I noticed a oil drip on the drive bellows. After taking off the trans and bellows there was a considerable amount of milky oil in the bellow. After removal it looked like this. (SEE PICTURE) I took off the starter motor and noticed the fly wheel and bell housing are dry as a bone so I ruled out the main seal of the motor. So my question is what is leaking and where is the oil originating from? Thanks in advance for any help.
728194717_2598929427_0.jpeg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to the forum and also where is this oil coming from?

No Picture!

BDSip

Cadet

Fixed hopefully
badoi.jpg

Don S

Your bellows has water in it (Failed bellows), water then rusts the yoke seal surface on the input shaft seal which destroys the seal which lets water into the drive and mixes with the drive oil and leaks out and gets into the bellows which leaks out the hole the water came in through.

You need a new bellows, and seal repair on the gear box. You also need to check for water in the flywheel cover bearings.

BDSip

Cadet

Don you are the man, and obviously very knowledgeable about these volvo drives and more, Lucky for me the boat has been out of the water for 2 years and It has been in the water for approx 24 hours for a sea trial before I purchased it. Check out these pictures now. This is what the trans looked like when I took it apart. Obvious damage which lead to leakage, fortunately U joints seem to be in great shape. I think bellows failed while on dry land and only allowed water in during that 24 hour period. Sorry for the crap pictures.
Drive3.jpg

Drive2.jpg

Don S

The clamp ring section of your gear box is corroded away (circled in pic below) and needs replaced. I would be looking at the flywheel cover as well, it's probably corroded as well. The flywheel cover housing is what the bellows is hooked to on the other end of the drive.
You also need new ujoints at least.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Drive2.jpg
    Drive2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

BDSip

Cadet

Yeah I was kind of afraid of all this. I think I will be searching for a entire outdrive assembly to throw on her. I think it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

BDSip

Cadet

Ok so I found a outdrive local to me that appears to be in great shape. The only thing is that it is a 275 A outdrive out of a 1987 bayliner. It has a 2.15:1 gear ratio which will work with my volvo 120b. Is everything the same on that drive as my 270? Will it be compatable with my tilt, prop, output shaft etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Don S

It should work fine, just make sure the mounting bolt for the helmet is the same as your's.
There are 3 different kinds.

One has 1/2" threads, one has 3/4" threads and the other has 2 bolts.

Helmet bolts.jpg

BDSip

Cadet

Ok here is what I am up against. I did not look at the drive I want in person but the guy sent me a couple pictures. First thing is that it has a 2 bolt helmet and mine is a single 3/4" allen head. And also I have a ten spline drive shaft and his appears to be much finer. So my questions are can I swap a 2 bolt helmet to mine? And can I swap my drive shaft? Is it the same size and will the U joints be the same diameter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Drive1-1.jpg

Drive2.jpg

Don S

Now you are asking questions I can't answer. You could probably change the helmet to fit the drive, if it fits the steering fork, or you may have to change the steering fork? Or can you change the fork will the transom shield accept the different fork.
If you see where I am going with this. Or can you change the bushing in the helmet itself. I really don't know.
When I worked at a Volvo dealer, we had lots of used parts that I could measure and check, and then there was still all kinds of little gotchas along the way. But I sure can't do it from a computer with no parts. Sorry.

As far as the fine thread and course thread yoke, yes, you can swap them. Just use a new Ujoint

BDSip

Cadet

Awesome. Thanks Don. I really wanted to know about the driveshaft compatibility. The drive is like new and I can get it for a great price so I think its worth picking up. I am a metal fabricator by trade so I may try to make a bushing that will work on my helmet and the new drive. I cant really tell until I bolt it up and see how it looks. I will keep ya posted on how I make out with it all.