stupid fuel filter questions

nola mike

Vice Admiral
So after having some what seemed to be fuel issues last week, I rebuilt my spare Carb, got a fuel/water filter, and a new fuel filter. When I took the old one off, it was smooshed on one side--i'm guessing it hasn't been effective. 2 questions:
1. Which way does the hole on the filter go (paper type)? Manual says hole facing down, but that doesn't seem right to me. Should the hole face down (towards the bail/bottom of fuel bowl, and away from the fuel pump), or up?
2. The sierra kit came with 3 gaskets. Manual only shows one. Should I just be using the one gasket with the multiple holes in it, or all three?

Boat fired up and seems to be running well so far, hopefully get out on the water tomorrow...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stupid fuel filter questions

Personally, I have no clue what filter you are referring to.

Don S

Fuel pump on what?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A picture is worth a thousand words....

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Weird. Doesn't look like my sig showed up for the first two posts. Sorry about that...

Don S

I don't have one of those pumps to look at. but the hole in the filter should line up with or go over a hole in the pump that gas flows through. The spring in your picture should push on the solid end of the filter.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Thanks, that's what I thought. Both the service and my owners manual say that the hole faces down with the spring on top though. I wonder if merc and I have different definitions of up and down.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Up is down here... :D :D :D

Don S

Some models of the 470 had the pumps with the filter up, some were down.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Some models of the 470 had the pumps with the filter up, some were down.

That makes sense. I was wondering about that, although the pic is still wrong. IMG_20120618_105038.jpgHere's what my old filter looked like, btw