84 4 winns 17' with a 140 hp mercruiser

Out the other day cruising on lake lost forward and reverse gear engine runs did start to get hot after we lost gears anyone got any ideas, also I do not have a manual for this boat. oh and with engine off put it in forward gear and propeller clicks while it turns and reverse it will move if i put some strength in it.

rickryder

Commander
Re: 84 4 winns 17' with a 140 hp mercruiser

Engine coupler? U-joints? Blown upper unit?..... first thing is to pull the drive and see whats going on.... Check the gear lube and see if it's in there or if it's full of water....

Please supply serial # of engine and drive so you can get the proper replies....Someone will even give you a link for the repair manual if they know what you have!

Welcome Aboard ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Could be a broken drive-shaft, a stripped coupler, a stripped gear in the top box... We can gaze into our crystal balls all we like, but you are going to need to get in there and start pulling things apart.... First thing I would do is pull the drive, pull the top cover off and check the gears, then split the drive and check the drive shaft.... Have a peek in the bell housing, through the gimbal bearing, and have a good look at the coupler....

Chris.....

EDIT: looks like Rick pipped me at the post...

Here's a link to the manuals you need.

Engine -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3Tjhfdk9PRXBWWExTU084dXpoTUhqRk9vZw
Drive -> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfOVRUNEk0anBUR3lQYTkwcUh5RElUQQ

engine Model no mcm 140 serial A457298 mercies drive is A450554 crapy thing is bought 2 weeks ago anyway vent tube on upper drive no oil coming out lower unit oil spills out looks very dirty smells funny

thanks for manuals downloading now so i will take a look tomorrow evening when I get home from work.

rickryder

Commander

engine Model no mcm 140 serial A457298 mercies drive is A450554 crapy thing is bought 2 weeks ago anyway vent tube on upper drive no oil coming out lower unit oil spills out looks very dirty smells funny

No oil will come out the vent.....unless your filling from the drain and it rises to the vent. If the oil is real black and smells bad I would think you have a cooked outdrive..... I know first hand if you read my resto thread below....last few pages you'll see what I'm talkin about.....

Update, top unit gears are trashed ordered new gears. Lower unit oil was leaking so I'm wondering if their can be added to this sterndrive an oiler like the 2 nd generation has.????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Update, top unit gears are trashed ordered new gears.

You do realize you can't just plop a new set of gears in there and everything is going to be like new don't you? It takes special tools, new bearings, seal kits to get the bearings preload, contact pattern, and lash set properly. All that costs more than a new SEI upper that has a 3 year warranty. I would also bet the lower has metal in it from the upper. They do share the same oil.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

First thing to do with anything you buy secondhand and don't know the history of.... A full service, including all fluids... That just basic. :facepalm:

i broke down and took it to the shop, the mechanic told me that he could have it all back up and running for about 800.00 new gears . Hope thats true

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

For a few hundred more u can get a new sei just get with rickryder for more details you can't beat that warranty!. Plus like Don said the lower has to be contaminated with shavings from the top. Good luck! and post back.

Sorry been away here is an update, boat came back from shop 700.00, carb cleaned up, idle fixed, gear shift fixed, u pper gears fixed, lower unit cleaned, he allowed me to come and inspect lower unit before he put it back together. Had it back a couple of weeks and everything is great. Thanks for all answers.