Couple of general questions

I am going to be pulling my outdrive here in the next week or so to change the bellows and make sure that the maintenance has been done right on it since I just bought it. I find it strange that it was winterized last fall but now has a hole in the bellows, just makes me wonder if the shop that the previous owner used really did all that they said they did.....

Roughly how much does the outdrive weigh when I pull it off? I am going to build one of the stands for it with casters to make life easy but just wondered how much weight I am dealing with.

Also has anyone written out a list of comparable lubricants and sealants to use in place of the OMC products?

Thanks for all your help (even if you can't tell that you helped me)! This forum is great!!

talon8

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Couple of general questions

Well the manual will say to hang the OD from a hoist but i have never been able to do that usually because the swim platform is in the way. I have done it by myself several times but I caution you it is quite heavy. I lower the tongue jack all the way so that i can put the OD all the way down. Then i raise the tongue jack till the skeg just touches the ground (Cement) or a board if on dirt. Remove the bolts and work the OD off with the skeg carrying the weight. This assumes you have already removed the trim cylinders, shift cable etc.

cr2k

Captain

Shift cable? don't need to touch that.
Oil should be a synthetic blend 80-140 viscosity. Merc or Sierra is good stuff.
You should also check your alignment. You can pick up an alignment tool off ebay for a reasonable price. Doesn't matter if it sez Merc or OMC they are the same. U-joints should use Marine corrosion guard grease and drive shaft Needs spline grease.
You will need the gasket for the drive and either marine gasket sealing compound or aviation permatex to coat both sides of the drive gasket. Grease the outside of the u-joint coupler and use a big screwdriver to rock the u-joints back and forth to help get them past the tight spot in the boot.

talon8

Seaman Apprentice

cr2k says "Shift cable? don't need to touch that."
He does if he happens to have a Cobra SX