OMC Cobra Engine Coupler Change Help

j.robinson389

Recruit
First post here, I have learned a lot here just by reading but now it is time to ask. I want to apologize in advance for the long post I am just trying to give as much info upfront as possible.

I have a 1988 Stingray SVB-192 SS with a 4.3L OMC Cobra in it. My parents have owned this boat since it was new and it is in excellent condition, but we have a problem. This is the second time this has happened.

We were cruising down the lake on a long boat ride and noticed a burning rubber sound so we stopped the boat and pulled the engine cover and realized I had left the bilge pump on for the past hour while we were cruising the lake so I blamed the smell on the pump and went on, a while late the smell did not dissipate so we pulled the engine cover again and noticed excess vibration of the motor. This time we decided to head to a marina and take a closer look, when went started to get on plane it was as if the boat slipped out of gear and the engine revved. We then noticed rubber shavings on the back of the motor and smoke from the engine bay.

With all that being said I am almost positive that we have a bad engine coupler, but I told the whole story to make sure that I am accurate in my assumption. This same exact thing happened 12 years ago in 2000 so it seems this part must have a 12 year life :) although the boat was used much more in the first 12 years than the last 12 years. When this happened 12 years ago I was only 10 yrs old and my dad is more of the type to pay to have it done and I like to do things myself, so this time I am thinking of doing the work ourselves.

I have looked for an actual OMC repair manual, but they are very rare now-a-days it seems, are the Seloc or Clymer Manuals worth anything?

When changing the coupler it seems that from what I have read the engine and out drive must both be removed, so while I have everything apart what else should I look to replace? What could be causing the coupler to go out.

I was thinking that I might also address the shift problems that the Cobra's seem to be famous for. As for as I know all the shift linkage is bone stock, but I read about an update that was done and enhanced the ease of shifting. I wouldn't say that ours shifts hard at all but sometimes it is a little difficult to get it back into neutral if I am in gear. I have read that when adjusted correctly the Cobra should shift in and out with 1 or 2 fingers and ours does not fall into that category.

Any tips or tricks on any of these subject would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone knows of where I could get a downloadable manual for my Cobra.

Thanks for your help,
Jake