Cottage boat for big family criteria?

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been following with interest the various "first boat" threads and most recently the "4 Winns Fling" comments. I have my own boat but our family cottage in Quebec, which is used by my 4 sibs and their respective children/grandchildren on a "family booking" basis currently has no motorboat. Several previous cheapo old-tyme FG runabouts went to the boat yard in the sky due to abuse or rotting transom. I have a budget from the sale of my toon of $2,800 plus a bit to buy something that anyone in the family can jump in and use over the course of the summer during their respective booking periods. We have a nice boathouse.

At first I was interested in the first link below, and it is located close to me.

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-21-Peterborough-Bowrider-with-140-Evenrude-and-EZLoader-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ379434037

But I found the latter comments in the Fling thread convincing, and now I have found this one which I am looking into:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Boat-motor-trailer-complete-set-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ388053124

Our lake is inland, 31 miles long and full of bays and islands, deep and clear water, a lake trout habitat. We need to beach the kids at a small isolated public beach as the water off our land is deep. That is one reason I prefer an OB for this application, plus there is no on-lake marina so no real easy opportunity for convenient servicing.

I have no info yet on boat #2, although I have asked for deets. Based on what you see, and our intended use, what wisdom (or other advice!) can shed some light on these choices?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cottage boat for big family criteria?

LOL, probably folks out enjoying the weekend is all.

I haven't followed those threads you mentioned but it seems to me both those boats are possibilities. They are also both old enough to have serious transom, floor, and stringer rot issues. Any way to check that or can the owners speak to those issues.

The other comment I picked up on was the other boats being abused. I'd be leery of ponying my own dough so my brother in law can beat my boat to death. Any reason they can't all chip in what you are? Then of course you would be looking in a different snack bracket. By the way, I love the sound of your lake!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my first suggestion for a cottage boat with a big family is a 'toon. however you just sold yours.

after that, I would suggest a bowrider.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A 16 foot runabout is going to be tight for anything more then about 3-4 people... And a 50hp outboard will not make for much fun with a heavy load.

I would look at 18 to 20 foot minimum, aluminum is a good choice, bowrider, with an outboard... That would make a great cottage boat.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so we like bow riders . . . I may have found one (see below) but first some defensive remarks: I sold the toon because my idiot brother wanted it back at the cottage but I have no toon trailer, and at the time, no tow rig. So I sold it, sent him he money to buy a cottage boat, and bought my sig boat. So now the idiot has parked his buddy's Bagliner (sp?) at the cottage but nobody (none of the adult children of we sibs) are permitted to use it. There is widespread angst. :) I can get the $2800 back from him (pursuant to an email attack on my part) to pay for a boat for my kids and their kids (my teen grandkids) and my sister's kids. I don't need one because I have a boat and I live on a lake. :) I like the idea of an aluminum rather than FG because I think there will be no "old boat deck/transom" issues.

So here is my latest. BUT I need to know if I can make this ugly thing look sharp:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=387503733&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.REPLY_TO_AD_SENT&ilIds=388021515%2C378480678%2C376227669%2C373694222%2C383646531%2C389211450%2C387503733%2C370090716%2C369746974%2C377554642%2C379023923% 2C382857850%2C375206007%2C379103961%2C386736330%2C387181928%2C377861790%2C352381618%2C376207769%2C377875716&ilNext=2&ilPrev=-1&ilProvider=SearchIdListProvider&ilqcCatId=0&ilqcKeyword=aluminum+bowrider&ilqcSort=3&mpname=R2S&mpname=Activity-R2S&mpuid=1700185%3B327%3B387503733%3B27976819%3B%3B&secev=AQAAATf6UF4AAM0AAAACACIxMzgwMTgzM2UxMC5hMjBiMjZhLjRhZjg1LmZmZmUyODg1AAAAABcY1nUBAAAAAgAAAAC4xj8AQ336cTeh1OcAQ2YAeHCqZm3merA*

Again, they can bash this bucket on the beach to their heart's content, and Papa/Grampa Steve is the hero of the day! Thoughts? Bear in mind, there is no other way to get that 2800 back so wtf?

edit: wow, that's quite the url . . .

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the motor runs well and has been maintained, and the deck and transom are firm, and you can talk the seller down to around $2500ish, I say buy it. I wouldn't worry about making it look pretty... I think it looks pretty good for what it is and what it will be used for, anyway.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

...I like the idea of an aluminum rather than FG because I think there will be no "old boat deck/transom" issues..

I really like that Starcraft and being aluminum they can stand up to more abuse (within reason, of course). They are, however, completely susceptible to transom and floor rot. Even stringer rot on some of them even though they are encased in aluminum.

That motor looks like it has had a gear case swap sometime in its past. Hopefully no other issues with it, but again, all that gear is plenty old enough to have serious problems.

I hear you on the whole cottage family angst thing. My mother and brother went through a nasty patch that lasted - oh, 20 years or so before our side pulled up stakes and got our own place. Harder to swing financially with just one family but the peace is worth it. Nice that you live on a lake yourself.

If you do have family issues at the cottage I can see this boat being ground zero for more trouble. Who is going to maintain it, keep the tank filled, look after storage, etc? Sounds like potential for a lot of finger pointing and grief while the boat suffers and kids have no fun. I suggest drawing up a charter that clearly lays out who is doing what and what the expectations are with respect to things like keeping it gassed up.

Myself, I'd consider installing an hour meter, figuring out your per hour cost to operate and make sure everyone understands that for every hour they run it, there will be x dollars contributed to the boat fund.

Sounds anal, I know, but I've seen how some family contributes dollars and work to a cottage, while others skate along and enjoy the ride. It gets old after awhile unless you run it like something like a formal, documented partnership.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

We did OK when the toon was the cottage boat, until I took it away at the family\s request. Aside from myself we aren't a boating family, just hop over to the sandy beach now and then and maybe a sightseeing tour. The gas is self-limiting - run out and you aren' t going anywhere, just like the propane for the BBQ. lol

Besides, the main purpose is to keep idiot boy in check.:D I figure I can tow it home in the Fall (I have lots of room) and have some fun sprucing it up. But so far no reply from the Kijii ad.

haulnazz15

Captain

Lol, gas is self-limiting. What you'll find out is that they made it back with 5 minutes of fuel left and the next person has to pick up the tab for the fuel if they want to take it out again.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That Starcraft is a steal especially with CAN boat prices. That's a 140 looper motor on there and should HAUL. I have that same boat with an older crossflow 90 and I can hit 40MPH.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I have never encountered a good result when sharing a boat with others. And it sounds like you understand this issue full and well, that said, I like the starcraft in your earlier post. The more bullet proof you can make this thing the better off you will be. The toon would have been the best option IMO, cant really hurt them too bad, especially if it's under powered to keep it off plane, just a putt around boat.
All I ever got was the boat and a set of oars when I was a kid, had to buy my own boat when I was younger.

haulnazz15

Captain

Having been in a family with a "everyone use it boat" I can tell you NEVER AGAIN. I never, not once, went to the cabin and not have to work on it before I could use it. It was always *almost* out of fuel, was rarely if ever cleaned after use.

We had a "family" bass boat which was frequently used and rarely filled up except by myself or my father. There was a time when it didn't even have enough fuel to get to the marina. Side note: the marina is about 2 minutes away at idle speed. The mantra I was taught regarding the lakehouse/boat/borrowed equipment was "leave it how you found it". The boat should be clean/fueled up/covered when you get there, so it better be that way when you leave!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Lol, gas is self-limiting. What you'll find out is that they made it back with 5 minutes of fuel left and the next person has to pick up the tab for the fuel if they want to take it out again.

Bingo, brother.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not care about the low fuel issue. When I go I expect o have to fuel up. I assume everyone else feels the same, or they can sit on the deck and read or whatever. It's never been a big issue up there. If there is no gas, go and get some. Or paddle home. Thing is - it isn't intended to be my boat. We had the toon for 10 years there, and nobody but me actually used it because my sibs are so mechanically useless they could never get it working. They begged me to take it away. When I took it here, I used to rent it out to strangers who never had an issue.:rolleyes: But now, it's the younger gen who wants a boat, and they are more like normal humans. And although I agree that a toon is a most intelligent and useful design, I am bored to tears with them and enjoying my own bowrider much more.

I can't seem to prompt a reply from that SS 18. There are a number of 16s out there for sale but I really am hoping for the space on the 18 with that big honkin motor. The 16s mostly seem to have 70s. But I may have to settle for a 16.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

my sibs are so mechanically useless they could never get it working. They begged me to take it away. When I took it here, I used to rent it out to strangers who never had an issue.:rolleyes: But now, it's the younger gen who wants a boat, and they are more like normal humans.

Sounds like my dad. Him + anything with a carb = fail.

I can't seem to prompt a reply from that SS 18. There are a number of 16s out there for sale but I really am hoping for the space on the 18 with that big honkin motor. The 16s mostly seem to have 70s. But I may have to settle for a 16.

I previously had a 16' Starcraft and upgraded to an 18'. The 18' is a more substantial hull in every dimension.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

EZ, your SS resto thread is what has really pumped me about this 18, and when I got home today, there was his reply at last! He says he's been away and sent along his phone #. I'm going to call him in a few minutes to ask for more deets and pics. Hoping to get him down to 2800, I don't think that is too much of a stretch. My main insecurity is I can't really evaluate the motor on my own and it may not be possible to test it in the water. I'll see. If I get it, I'll post an intro in the Starcraft section.