Towable tube splashing water

gatorpsd

Cadet
I just bought our first tube. Where the rope fastens to the tube. Water will spray from there right into the riders face the entire time the tube is in motion. Do I have the tube over or under inflated? Is there some other trick? I kinda bought it spur of the moment. The tube is a O'rageous Velocity.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towable tube splashing water

You gotta get the rope tied to the white plastic thingy just right so it doesn't frag in the water. I actually tied my rope to the fabric so that the white plastic thingy is held up ny tow rope. We had the same problem.

Levinz11

Wow. I need to proof read my posts.

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A BoosterBall should help with splashing. It keeps the rope out of the water.

gatorpsd

Cadet

I would like to get a tube that wouldn't need anything else. By the time you get my wife and 4 kids on a 20' boat there isnt a lot of room for much else. I'm looking for a sit on with back rest for two or three riders. Any suggestion?

haulnazz15

Captain

Deflate the tube when it's not in use. Use a 12V small electric air-matress pump to inflate it when needed. I have a cordless Coleman model I picked up at walmart for $15 that will inflate a 2-person tube in less than a minute and will run all weekend on a charge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I picked up a pair of tube straps to lash it to my cleats on the swim platform. keeps the tube out of the way until I need it.

as for the splashing, I had to pull the tube from the ski hook and not from the transom eyes to keep the rope elevated enough.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both of my tubes splash a little. Seems to splash less if you go a little faster. We pull at about 22-25 mph. We have a slalom solo and a bandwagon 1+1. I have pulled the solo from the tower and it didn't splash but the say you aren't supposed to do that.

jets6911

Recruit

A BoosterBall should help with splashing. It keeps the rope out of the water.

What is a booster ball? when pulling tubes my rope drags in water 10' in front of tube splashing the rider in the face. will boosterball cure this?

UncleWillie

Captain

The Booster Ball will cure the rope problem.
It also makes "Cracking the Whip" much easier!

Inflate the Ball and tube with a 12 volt inflater (~$30); It plugs into lighter plug or clips directly onto the battery.
Your tube is most likely under inflated.
If there are any wrinkles in the cover it is under inflated.
If you can blow into the valve with lung power, it is under inflated.
A properly inflated tube is as hard as a rock (figuratively).
Jumping from the boat directly onto/into a full inflated tube does NOT make a pleasant landing!
In the fear of over inflating, most people under inflate.

I fill the tube with the electric inflater.
That gets it 95% full.
Then top it off with lung power.
A good healthy human lung can only muster about 2 psi MAX!
Coincidently, Tube need to be inflated just a little under 2 psi.
When it get real hard to blow any more, It's full.
You will not over inflate it if you top it off manually!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Tie the rope to the plastic fastener so that the tube is always trying to pull upward if you are not already doing so. Works on my Airhead Super Slice...never had the problem. I pull two tubes at once and can sit on the forward edge. We pull around 25 MPH.

soggy_feet

I thought you were supposed to get blasted in the face. Makes hitting that giant mess of confused waves from the circles the boat was making a surprise, ie; fun.