stalling when put into gear

Chuckyluv45

Cadet
Hello
I have a 59 Johnson, 5.5 horse Seahorse. I have converted the fuel system to a pump. I also rebuilt the carb twice. The motor will start on the 2nd pull idles nice. and has an ok throttle response . As soon as i shift it into gear it wants to stall. I have checked the carb several time cant seem to locate the issue. What else could be the Problem

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: stalling when put into gear

Either there is a problem with the lower unit, the idle is set too low, or the engine is not running on both cylinders.

Do you have compression on both cylinders? What are the PSI readings?
Spark on that model should jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it? The 1/4" gap is important.

When the engine is idling, use insulated pliers to remove the spark plug wires from the spark plugs, alternating one at a time. If you have the same rpm drop when removing the plug wire from either cylinder and the engine continues to run.... then the engine is running/firing of both cylinders properly.

Let us know what you find.

Chuckyluv45

Cadet

So i found out that im not firing on all cylinder....Please correct me if im wrong. my fuel mix ratio should be 24:1.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

So i found out that im not firing on all cylinder....Please correct me if im wrong. my fuel mix ratio should be 24:1.

You are correct about the mixture.... 24/1.... 1qt of good quality 50/1 oil to 6 gal of gasoline. A octane rating of 87 will be fine.

Keep us updated as to what you find... why the engine's running on one cylinder, your progress, etc.

Chuckyluv45

Cadet

ok so Replaced both spark plugs this morning and i have no spark what so ever?.......what is my next course of actions.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you actually remove the spark plugs and checked to see if spark would jump a 1/4" gap or are you simply assuming you have no spark because the engine doesn't start?

Chuckyluv45

Cadet

Well im at a loss i have replaced the coils, condensers, points, and spark plug. i set the points at .020 and i still have no spark!!! What am i Missing?????

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Spark plugs should be Champion J4C or J6C plugs, gapped at .030 . The J6C may provide improved performance.

Make sure the coils are seated properly as follows.
Double check the cleanliness and setting of the points as follows.
Check to see that you have continuity between the coil lead that connects to the spark plug and the wires leading from the coils.

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

Chuckyluv45

Cadet

I went through every thing again and now it runs perfectly. Not sure what i did to fix the problem. Thanks you for all your help Joe. Would not have gotten it running with out your help.