Bow of boat coming out of water

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Sea Nymph 14.5 with a 10HP when alone at 1/2 power or more the bow wil not stay down, am I under power, and not plaining out?The boat is rated for a 25 but I am not a speed freek, so finding a 25HPjust to go faster is not the issue.
Will a larger motor help, or make matters worse with more weight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow of boat coming out of water

If your a big guy and the gas tank is in back the bow gets very light so yes -- you can expect the bow to rise. That problem also occurs if you have the trim pin on the engine set so the engine is trimmed too far out. Move the pin closer to the transom one hole and try. You might also stow your fuel tank and gear up front to better balance the load.

QC

Supreme Mariner

My 14 Sea Nymph will plane with a 5 horse, so depending on load I doubt you are underpowered. I am thinking trim pin adjustment like Silvertip noted.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A 10 is perfect for that boat. No need to move anything around. Gas tank, battery and you at the transom will work. There is one trim setting that will work for all speeds.

A bigger motor will make it worse. A 25 will require mods to the rig.

etracer68

Ensign

I agree with Silver, on this one. Trim pin location, and weight locations, will efect the performace. A person 250lbs compared to a 175lb person is a big differance in the stern, and how it planes or doesnt plane.

Last edited:

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

My son in law has a 14' with a 9.8 merc and it will plane with both of us in the boat. (he weighs around 250 and I'm at 300lbs)
That's with the pin 3 holes from the transom and the passenger on the midle bench. If either one sits in the front the bow will plow :facepalm:
By myself, gas tank, anchor, anything with weight WAY in the front and pin in the first hole next to the transom.
Move the pin according to the load. You'll get to learn your boat and know where to distribute the weight and set the trim before you leave the dock.

O'Riley

Seaman

You guys know if these things actually help or not:

StingRay.jpg

I bought this for my motor years ago, not sure why, but it sure gets up on plane quick with me and all gear in the back. I think my trim pin is second hole from the transom.

QC

Supreme Mariner

They seem to help with small OBs the most. Best to see if he can get it right without that first.

portd

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 14 ft with 20hp when i was by myself it would get very high before comeing down when giveing throttle to get down on plane ,so i finally put 2 cement blocks in the front wraped in plastic . im about 180 lbs ,that made a big difference .

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replys,I have tried the trim adj.but I went all the way back and made it worse I am 175 and just a battery in the back.
Glad to here that I don't need more motor to solve the problem,maby I need a bigger cooler and more tackle.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replys,I have tried the trim adj.but I went all the way back and made it worse I am 175 and just a battery in the back.
Glad to here that I don't need more motor to solve the problem,maby I need a bigger cooler and more tackle.

bigger cooler more beer:D