Alarm goes off after i throttle engine just above idle beep beep beep

r0me41

Recruit
I have a 1985 150 v6 mercury, and everytime i try to throttle up boat to plane out motor craps out and alarms goes off with a steady beep beep beep , if I idle engine back down it quits. I can throttle boat all the way and still can not go over idle speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty. I have changed water pump, poppet valve, both head sets, and thermostats. Nothing i've done has made it any better.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alarm goes off after i throttle engine just above idle beep beep beep

Rapid beeps is the oiling system..not the cooling. Need to test the oiler to see it its pumping before you seize it up possibly..

r0me41

Recruit

Rapid beeps is the oiling system..not the cooling. Need to test the oiler to see it its pumping before you seize it up possibly..

How would I go about doing that. I know my top tank under the cowl is full, i broke loose screw on pump and oil is coming out. it only beeps when i throttle it up around 2000 or so , and then puts me in some kind of limp mode

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The oil alarm module also compares the oil pump rotation sensor to an ignition pulse from one of the coils, when it reads any difference, it alarms, assuming an oil pump failure when you actually may have an ignition problem.

Remove all spark plugs, attach the wires to a spark tester. Dis-connect the throttle cable. While cranking and watching the spark, slowly move the throttle arm to WOT and back to idle. This causes the trigger plate to advance and the wires to flex, if you have a broken trigger wire you may loose spark on two cyls at some point in the throttle movement, causing the oil alarm to sound.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Oil module is connected to #5 cylinder if I remember correctly so it was not firing you would get the alarm,other cylinders not firing wont effect it.

r0me41

Recruit

Oil module is connected to #5 cylinder if I remember correctly so it was not firing you would get the alarm,other cylinders not firing wont effect it.

Thanks everyone for all the info and help. Ended up being a bad stator and triger, Replaced them bboth , and she runs like a top again.