• Poll closed .

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
What pest do you hate the most, and why:

Rats
Roaches
Flies
Mosquitos

I hate a damn rat - they won't take a pepper back home, and have supper with the family. They will take one bite out of 10, peppers on one night!
Roaches are filthy creaters hard to eradicate!
One fly in the house will destroy the atmosphere especially when your trying to eat!
Mosquitos are the most pernicious of the bunch!

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Pest!

Rats don't even make the list. Those are target practice for the .17 rimfire and .22 rimfire calibers.

Now, skeeters might have a place in the food chain, buy I find it very hard to have any sympathy for a dead one.
Roaches also seem to have no useful purpose.
Flies.....now there's an interesting thing to examine. The adult fly seems to have no use either, but sterile, lab-raised maggots have been found to be highly useful for cleaning a wound of dead or decaying flesh. I can imagine a much less painful method of treating burn victims in the future.

Roger

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

The bane of my existence.........fleas.

Though roaches are a close second.

<<)))(((>>

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

We live in the middle of 30 acres of woods. At that point there is no such things are pests, only neighbors. ;)

ziggy

Admiral

i'm a city dweller and had a bug man for years. didn't really have to many bugs with him employed. then he sold out to orkin. poor fella. i dropped them asap and now do my own bug treatments. still no real bugs to pester me...
one as the worst it has to be the Asian Beetle that looks like a ladybug
i'll agree with that. that bug is a bummer. they sure do bite hard too. didn't used to have them either, alas, now we do too.
as a cat owner, fleas make the list too. i had them once in my house. man, labor intensive for months to get rid of them. i'm now a believer in front line. no flea issues since.

as for rats... the ones i've had come from the pet store and live for 2 or 3 years.... hard to believe, but they really do make a real good pet.... least i've liked the ones i've had.... right now though, i'm down to one cat. i had to put Apollo (my oldest cat at 16 years) to sleep yesterday due to old age. this sure is heartbreaking to me and my ol lady and my last cat sazzyazz..... RIP Apollo....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Same here, we got more bugs and critters than you can name in 24 hours. If I had to pick just one as the worst it has to be the Asian Beetle that looks like a ladybug. Most insecticides don't do anything, they BITE and even cold weather doesn't bother them much.
We have the Asian ladybugs as well but they can't come close to competing with the Asian stink bugs.

The Stink bugs start showing up the end of September and by mid-October there are literally thousand of them trying to get into your home. They crawl in to hide anywhere. I left one of my flannel shirts out in the garage and there must have been a couple of hundred of them hiding inside in a matter of days. I bombed my workshop last winter and was shoveling them off the floor with a snow shovel. I filled close to ? of a 30-gallon trashcan with them.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

This is pretty easy for me as I don't have rats or roaches anyway, so for me it would be flies since right now thats what I have and unless we get some rain soon its all were going to have too...

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

i'm a city dweller and had a bug man for years. didn't really have to many bugs with him employed. then he sold out to orkin. poor fella. i dropped them asap and now do my own bug treatments. still no real bugs to pester me...
i'll agree with that. that bug is a bummer. they sure do bite hard too. didn't used to have them either, alas, now we do too.
as a cat owner, fleas make the list too. i had them once in my house. man, labor intensive for months to get rid of them. i'm now a believer in front line. no flea issues since.

as for rats... the ones i've had come from the pet store and live for 2 or 3 years.... hard to believe, but they really do make a real good pet.... least i've liked the ones i've had.... right now though, i'm down to one cat. i had to put Apollo (my oldest cat at 16 years) to sleep yesterday due to old age. this sure is heartbreaking to me and my ol lady and my last cat sazzyazz..... RIP Apollo....
Sorry for you loss - been there done that a bunch.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Rats don't even make the list. Those are target practice for the .17 rimfire and .22 rimfire calibers.

Now, skeeters might have a place in the food chain, buy I find it very hard to have any sympathy for a dead one.
Roaches also seem to have no useful purpose.
Flies.....now there's an interesting thing to examine. The adult fly seems to have no use either, but sterile, lab-raised maggots have been found to be highly useful for cleaning a wound of dead or decaying flesh. I can imagine a much less painful method of treating burn victims in the future.

Roger
I use to snipe the rats with a sophisticated air gun -I would bait them with bird seed, but it got old, and they would multiply faster than I could shoot. I poison them now, but have reservations because of the dogs. I used rat traps until I caught a bird :eek::facepalm: What kind of bird eats peanut butter:confused: My neighbors put garbage in plastic trash bags, and think having rats is the norm. There is just no way to rid them without a concerted neighborhood effort - ain't going to happen.
We were infested with roaches overnight when the neighbors were evicted and the exterminators came - they overran us like army ants! I got some stuff of the internet (Alpine) It totally eradicated them - what a horrible experience. How can someone live with a house full of roaches?
I don't think I could deal with a wound full of maggots - I don't care how sterile they are - I don't think they would hurt though. They only consume dead flesh.

dwco5051

Commander

The number one pests in my part of the country are ticks. I have a log home in the middle of 25 acres of forest land and contract with a pest control service for regular spraying. The Asian ladybugs are annoying but do no harm, a few stinkbugs now and then, but the ticks are really bad. One of my dogs had Lyme disease and was treated with antbiotics and is OK but my neighbor lost his golden a few years back to it. Both him and one of his sons had it. Trying to remove a tick from a part of your body that you can only see with a mirror is an adventure.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Have to agree with those that choose fleas, they are awful. However, the worst pest, biting insect ever to me are chiggers. Hell on Earth I tell ya.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Have to agree with those that choose fleas, they are awful. However, the worst pest, biting insect ever to me are chiggers. Hell on Earth I tell ya.
I had my flea experience on Paris Iland SC - there they are a protected species! What do chiggers do?