'92 2cycle 40hp/30jet issues, and trying to bypass oil injector unit.

mthompson220

Cadet
Okay, so I have this motor a 2cycle 40HP/30jet, and I'm just about ready to dump napalm on it and watch it burn with a sadistic grin on my face or un-bolt it and watch it slip away into the depths of the local reservoir.
Just kidding, but needless to say, I'm about fed up with it. It has been nothing but problem after problem with this motor since I bought the boat.:mad:
Currently I have several issues, and I don't know what would be the root cause. So I?m trying to trouble shoot things as best I can with a limited knowledge of outboards.
First of all it seems to be running rich especially at low RPMs. Seems to sputter and will often stop running if I don?t goose it every now and then. It makes trolling a chore.
It also seems to use a lot of oil. After a session of low speed motoring, it will begin to smoke and takes a while of WOT to clear it out. And in the last month I have gone through almost two quarts of oil.
In addition to that, the lower carb seems to drip constantly while it running. I just had the carbs rebuilt, and I thought the float was stuck, but that?s not the case. So I?m stumped there as well.:confused:
Either way, I was wondering how I could bypass the oil injector unit and sensor, so I can try mixing the gas myself and see if that fixes some of the problem. I know it won?t fix the leaky carb, but that?s for another weekend, and another tool throwing event.
Thanks for the help.