Starter keeps going bad!..Need help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainrider

Cadet
I have a 2004 Bayliner 175 w/3.0 Mericrusier motor. I have had to replace the starter 3 times since putting it in the water in April. What is causing the starter to go out like this?..I am totally stumped!!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter keeps going bad!..Need help please!

If your talking about the bendix, then check for water in the cylinders. are the manifolds and riser 8 years old?

Rainrider

Cadet

The starter just spins. It started up just fine yesterday i shut it off to fuel up then went to start it and all it does is spin. took the starter off took it to Autozone and had it tested was told it was good. brought it back put it on and all it does is spin. this occured 3 weeks ago I was told the starter was good but I replaced it anyway and put it on, started the motor right up.

rickryder

Commander

Have you looked at the flywheel to see if you have any missing teeth?

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the starter get exposed to long crank times? Or does the engine fire up within 10 seconds all the time? Even ten seconds is a long time for a starter to run.

Rainrider

Cadet

Does the starter get exposed to long crank times? Or does the engine fire up within 10 seconds all the time? Even ten seconds is a long time for a starter to run.

No it starts right up less than 10 seconds..

Rainrider

Cadet

Have you looked at the flywheel to see if you have any missing teeth?

No teeth missing on flywheel..flywheel is (new) Found out that the "planatary gear is bad this was in all 3 starters all bad. makes no sense for the planatary gear to keep going out unless its just bad starters!..they say theres 2 happiest days of your life.."the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it"..lol

Bondo

Staff member

No teeth missing on flywheel..flywheel is (new) Found out that the "planatary gear is bad this was in all 3 starters all bad. makes no sense for the planatary gear to keep going out unless its just bad starters!..they say theres 2 happiest days of your life.."the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it"..lol

Ayuh,.... Off-shore parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.