Engine flooding after about 30 minutes running great! 1968 Evinrude 40HP Big Twin

soccoach

Cadet
1968 Evinrude 40 HP Big Twin.
Well, I'm back and more confused than ever. I had a problem with the engine running fine and then suddenly flooding. Then impossible to restart. I put in new plugs, points, condenser and rebuilt the carburater. I have pulled the intake manifold and checked the leaf valves. They seem to be strong. I thought I had a sticky pin, and sure enough it was sticking. I replaced the pin valve and all of the other parts in the kit.
I have used it three times without a problem, and then today, whammy, the same thing happened. I had to be towed to the dock. The engine bogged down and the choke was in the half postion. I KNOW I had pushed it all the way back when I started it. I have an interested buyer in the boat package, but I feel awkward selling it without knowing that it will work right for him.
Any ideas???? :confused:

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Engine flooding after about 30 minutes running great!

whats the engine model?

soccoach

Cadet

Sorry, that might help. 1968 Evinrude Big Twin 40 HP.
Once the engine floods, every time I restart, gas flows out of the front of the carb. I thought I had resolved this.

nwcove

Admiral

could it be picking up junk from the tank and causing issues with the float needle?