1983 bayliner capri AQ125b wont start

mrmike2

Recruit
I have a 1983 Bayliner Capri..volvo AQ125b 4.0 liter. Have replaced starter, coil, coil wire, points, rotor, distibutor cap, plugs and wires..I have spark at the points but not at the plugs, cranks but wont start. Any ideas

captmello

Captain
Re: 1983 bayliner capri AQ125b wont start

welcome.

You're aq125b is a 2.3 ltr engine.

Are you sure you have the points adjusted correctly?

captmello

Captain

aq125a used the 2.1 ltr, aq125b used the 2.3 ltr motor. the block reads b21 or b23. they are pretty much the same.:)

so the mechanic gave the boat back in nonrunning condition? did the mechanic do the rest of the work??? Whats the rest of the story.

mrmike2

Recruit

aq125a used the 2.1 ltr, aq125b used the 2.3 ltr motor. the block reads b21 or b23. they are pretty much the same.:)

so the mechanic gave the boat back in nonrunning condition? did the mechanic do the rest of the work??? Whats the rest of the story.

we were out on lake michigan trolling...after we had replaced all the stuff i listed..boat was running fine then died and would not start, the marina we were at had their mechanic come down and check things out...he gapped the points and checked everything he could think of and was stumped. We had a mechanic friend check the distibutor and he said it was working fine. He seemed stumped as well. So now I am too

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1983 Bayliner Capri..volvo AQ125b 4.0 liter. Have replaced starter, coil, coil wire, points, rotor, distibutor cap, plugs and wires..I have spark at the points but not at the plugs, cranks but wont start. Any ideas

Is that really the points sparking? I do not think it should be! I would replace the cap again.

Obviously something failed from all those new components when your engine stopped.
Do you get a spark at the coil, before the distributor?
If not, there is not much there to go wrong. Again, start replacing components one by one. (Hopefully you still have your old components, it is highly unlikely that all of them was bad, or you have spares.)
Do you get full power (12V) at the coil? If there is a ballast resistor then you should get about 9V at the coil when the points are closed.
If you get spark at the coil, follow it to the plug. You should have about 3/8" of spark in free air.

Good luck, Peter