1960 evinrude lightwin 3 hp rebuilt but only starting and cutting off after 15 sec

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
I rebuilt this motor but my throttle arm keeps jumping to low speed from the start position every time I pull the cord. If I hold it in place it will start but then shut off after 15 sec. How do I tighten this movement. I have the service manual but I am not seeing the adjustment. This is my first outboard that a neighbor gave me. I just replaced fuel filter did all the carb, ignition, lower unit , pistons, rings etc. Now I just want it to work. Any ideas?:confused:

Mark3

Cadet
Re: 1960 evinrude lightwin 3 hp rebuilt but only starting and cutting off after 15 se

One or both coils are likely dragging on the flywheel. The ends of the coil laminations should be flush with the mounting bosses.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 evinrude lightwin 3 hp rebuilt but only starting and cutting off after 15 se

One or both coils are likely dragging on the flywheel. The ends of the coil laminations should be flush with the mounting bosses.

Thanks, I just pulled the flywheel and noticed one end of each coil was a "tiny fraction" off flush. Just enough to drag on the flywheel. I am readjusting more carefully this time. I have read all the posts and seen the pictures of how to align the coils with the bosses and I still missed it. I really appreciate you getting me to take another look before I damaged it. While I have the coil off, how far should the wick extend? It seems to be impeding my coil adjustment. Thanks again!

kfa4303

Banned

the wick should just barely touch the crankshaft cam, but you don't really need it at all. remove it if it's going to be in the way of properly aligning the coils.

Mark3

Cadet

the wick should just barely touch the crankshaft cam, but you don't really need it at all. remove it if it's going to be in the way of properly aligning the coils.

Manufacturers don't go through the time and expense of adding unneeded parts to their products. Without it the rubbing blocks on the points will wear quickly and there goes your properly adjusted point gap.

The wick retainer has a small tab that the wick butts against.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Manufacturers don't go through the time and expense of adding unneeded parts to their products. Without it the rubbing blocks on the points will wear quickly and there goes your properly adjusted point gap.

The wick retainer has a small tab that the wick butts against.

I really respect all the advice you are giving, however I could not get the coil to align without removing the wick retainer. It was bent and not allowing me to get the coil flush. I removed it according to the previous post and I had the clearance. If I have to replace the points at least I can get it running for now. The coil was rubbing against the flywheel and causing the throttle arm to move. Now the throttle arm is now steady, {YEA} however my starter spring broke soon after and I need to start a new thread as I have questions as to how to install the new one. The service manual is a bit confusing as I am not that familiar with engines. Thank you to all for your input! This issue solved. Thank you.

kfa4303

Banned

Trust me. You'll be fine without the wick. All they ever seem to do is catch dirt and get in the way. Even if the rocker arms should get worn down (which they won't and certainly not "quickly") a new tune up kit is $20 and will last another 30 years. I've been running these old motors sans wick for years and have never had a problem, and I'm not alone. Lots of folks fore go the wicks with no ill effects. Just because something was designed a certain way doesn't mean it was right, or good. Ever own an MG, or an Alfa Romeo? Rolling testaments to ridiculous, but endearing, engineering. Here's a great link that walk you through the whole job.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude 3 HP Lightwin Outboard Boat Motor/default.htm