2001 johnson wiring

des3m8

Cadet
Just picked up a 2001 Johnson 90hp and I have a quick wiring question. It didn't come with a manual so I'm not sure. On the engine side I have a plug, 2 wires located about half way from the trim plugs and and the plastic cover that has the engine plugs behind it. What is this for? And secondly on the controls side I have 2 bundles of wires colored purple white and black and the other bundle is purple gray and black. They all have rings on the end like they could go over a small stud. The shop I got the motor from told me one of them went to a tac but since I have the tac/engine gauge in one I don't need to use them. But he didn't tell me what the other set does and at the time I didn't realize there were 2 sets so now I don't know which one is the tac either.

des3m8

Cadet
Re: 2001 johnson wiring

Ooo just realized I haven't mounted the oil tank or connected it to motor. I wouldn't b surprised if that plug on the motor goes to that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Purple, Grey and black is your tach connection. Purple is ign acc and black is ground. White may be PTT gauge. You should also have an 8 pin DIP connector for the system check tach. It will detect low oil in the tank, no oil at the motor, overheating and fuel line restriction. I recommend you use the system check gauge, vs a regular tachometer.

des3m8

Cadet

thank you very much. I have the evinrude tac that has the system check lights on the bottom of it. it plugs into the 8 pin connector so I'm good on all fronts there.