wiring up trim/tilt sending units

Replacing my oem units with Sierra aftermarket . I don't have any wiring remaining to go by. From reading the other threads, i take it the trim gauge has the male - female ends, and the trim limit the two male bullet ends. Beyond that I am lost. Here is what i see in the vicinity!

CIMG2574.jpg

CIMG2575.jpg

CIMG2577.jpg

CIMG2537.jpg

CIMG2538.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: wiring up trim/tilt sending units

Replacing my oem units with Sierra aftermarket . I don't have any wiring remaining to go by. From reading the other threads, i take it the trim gauge has the male - female ends, and the trim limit the two male bullet ends. Beyond that I am lost. Here is what i see in the vicinity!

View attachment 152641

View attachment 152642

View attachment 152643

View attachment 152644

View attachment 152645

Ayuh,... We still gotta know which motor, 'n drive yer startin' with,...

Serial numbers, or atleast the Vintage,..??

Looks like an old MC-1, but How old,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What are we working on ???????

I can tell you, in you last picture above, that is the shift interrupt switch and NEEDS to be hooked up for your shifting to work. If the engine dies when you shift, then you probably need to replace the cable. Disconnecting the switch is NOT an option.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Spot on... Now connect one of the the trim gauge sender wires to the brown/white and the other to ground... You'll probably find that the brown/white with the ring terminal goes onto a terminal block somewhere. In the kit (from memory) should be a very short length of wire with a bullet on one end and a ring on the other. Put that on the terminal block with that brown/white wire, or just chop the ring off and put a bullet on it...

The trim limit switch wires go the trim pump harness connector bullets with nothing in them, one should be purple, the other blue...

Chris.....

P.S. Don and Bond-o are just being picky (and rightly so) about asking for the engine details... I can see enough in the photos, but in future, ALWAYS tell us what you're working on... ;) And Don's dead right about that shift interrupt switch... Get it sorted!

MY apologies. 470 and mc-1 drive. What would be the reason for the interupt switch being by-passed? I will get the switch hooked up, and am replacing the lower shift cable if that's what don was refering to. The po was running the boat like this, would it cause any damage to the drive? Thanks Gentlemen.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What would be the reason for the interupt switch being by-passed?

Usually to keep the engine from dying when shifting into and out of gear when the lower shift cable is bad.

The po was running the boat like this, would it cause any damage to the drive?

Probably doesn't hurt the drive as much as putting a strain on everything else from the shift cable to the throttle control.

Here is the wiring diagram with the wiring for the gauge and limit switch added.

Trim pump with gage.jpg