boat capsizes--why?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Here's the article:

CAPE CHARLES

The Coast Guard and a group of good Samaritans rescued 10 people from a 24-foot boat that capsized today near Cape Charles, according to a news release from the Coast Guard.

The boat capsized before 7:15 p.m., according to the release. One of the good Samaritans called the Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads, and a crew was sent in a 41-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Cape Charles.

Ten people were on board; they were not wearing life jackets, according to the news release. The Coast Guard took five on board, as did the good Samaritans.

No one was injured, according to the news release. A fishing vessel towed the capsized boat to Cape Charles Harbor.

Here's more info, from posts from the local fishing forum including those who were there:

The boat was not overloaded, for its rating. It was center console and in waters/conditions it could handle.

The Good Samaritan (ie fellow boater nearby) fished the 5 women out of the water; all had PFD's on.

The boat owner added a tower above the console. These are very commonplace around here when the cobia are in (now) because you spot them from above. I see boats with all kinds of crazy rigs on them, even fold-out step ladders, and other home-made rigs.

Here's a comment from a witness that explains it:
"Talked to a few guys that saw it. Ive been told that the 5 guys were on the tower and 5 girls on the deck. The boat took off in a hard turn and over it went. One of the sailing vessels had just gone by for OPsail but the boat had already cleared its wake.

"Tom Ive said the same thing. On a boat that is only around 8 ft wide the CG is easily moved much higher than the hull was designed for. One guy, maybe two on a tower, fine in light condidtions and responsible boat handling. If the guys weighed 180 each, thats 900 lbs plus tower and helm rigging. Too much, and that is on the operator. IMO poor decisions were made by the operator and it could have ended much worse. People need to remember that they arent driving a 15-18ft wide Viking just because they have a tower. "

So the tower itself does not make the boat unsafe. And one or two people up there when motoring slowly in calm conditions is OK, too. But these guys....

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat capsizes--why?

You mean if I mounted my engine on top of my hardtop instead of deep in the hull my boat would handle differently? Hmmmmm . . . . :facepalm:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you start your boating life at an early age in a small tippy boat, like a canoe, these things are second nature. If your first boating experience starts with the 20' boat you buy when you are 40, you will be constantly surprised that things are not the same on water as they are on land.

In nature there are no punishments, or rewards--only consequences.

Philster

Captain

Guys that fish off Cape Charles are probably 220 lb on average, and that's being conservative.

Spot on HC.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sheer idiocy!

... and I bet they were all surprised when it happened too.:D