battery being drained

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I changed over my remote 3 weeks ago and ever since I find that my battery is being drained. Every time I go to start it , I have to charge the battery first. Is there any way to find out what's draining your battery? I like to try this first before i go and install a battery cut-off switch as this is just another thing to do on my list before and after i go out boating.

The motor is a 1990 johnson 60hp and the remote was swopped as the internals were worn and loose and I picked up a better one when i purchased a parts motor from a few years earlier. Red plug to red plug so surely it can't be this?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: battery being drained

I changed over my remote 3 weeks ago and ever since I find that my battery is being drained. Every time I go to start it , I have to charge the battery first. Is there any way to find out what's draining your battery? I like to try this first before i go and install a battery cut-off switch as this is just another thing to do on my list before and after i go out boating.

The motor is a 1990 johnson 60hp and the remote was swopped as the internals were worn and loose and I picked up a better one when i purchased a parts motor from a few years earlier. Red plug to red plug so surely it can't be this?

Ayuh,.... Disconnect the (+) positive post on the battery, 'n put a Test light between the post, 'n the cable end....

Is the light Lit,..?? then something is drawin' power....
Disconnect "Things" til the light goes Out, 'n you've found the culprit...

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Disconnect the (+) positive post on the battery, 'n put a Test light between the post, 'n the cable end....

Is the light Lit,..?? then something is drawin' power....
Disconnect "Things" til the light goes Out, 'n you've found the culprit...

I'm not stupid, but I don't follow for some reason. Disconnect the positive post terminal on the battery and then pull any wires off? Then individually place a tester between the cable end and the post until...??? Man, I can't think today.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

turned out to be the starter motor. T&T would work 5 times straight so i thought that there had to be power in the battery. Solenoid was clicking so had a spare starter and threw it on. Fired up first time so I guess i'll pull the starter apart and see if its brushes or damaged coil or something.

Thanks anyway Bond-0 hopefully will never have to troubleshoot this again but will use your idea if it ever pops up.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well I find it odd that it would be the starter because that only gets power applied when the key is turned and the solenoid kicks in. The only way it could be that is if the solenoid is bad and applying power all of the time which would keep the starter spinning.

A very common drain is the memory wire on a stereo.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read the OP's comment to mean the started problem only made him think the batter was drained. Could be wrong...