Previous boat had Smart Tabs. Should I install them on new boat, or learn to trim?

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My previous boat was a 1974 140HP I/O Glasply with no trim gauge, so I installed smart tabs. Now I have a '97 Maxum 1900SR with a 4.3 liter Mercruiser and fully functioning trim and gauge. Since I've never used trim before I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to stick with what I know and put on smart tabs.

Are there disadvantages to trim tabs? What I notice with the old boat is: A) they're kind of ugly and B) I get a very uneven wake off the back which isn't much fun for tubing. Is that maybe caused by the trim tabs? For skiing, wakeboarding etc. is it better just to learn how to trim properly?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Previous boat had Smart Tabs. Should I install them on new boat, or learn to trim

I have Smart Tabs on my boat and love them. That being said, I wouldn't have installed them if the boat had come with functioning tabs. Why go looking for work? Learn how to operate the tabs on your new(er) boat and if you're still not satisfied, replace them with what you like.

nlain

Commander
Re: Previous boat had Smart Tabs. Should I install them on new boat, or learn to trim

I am a Smart Tab fan, my boat ran good without but there were a few things I wanted better, Smart Tabs took of those things and gave me more. I will say run your boat, learn to trim, see how it performs, see what you would like to change about it, if anything, then decide on tabs. I think they will improve most boats they are installed on in some way.

NYBo

Admiral

Even with Smart tabs, you need to trim the outdrive properly for best performance and fuel economy.

Maclin

Admiral

"Should I install them on new boat, or learn to trim? "

Yes.