Linkage And Syncronization For '86 Evinrude 25 HP

RicS1953

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Is the timing reference pointer on my '86 Evinrude E25ECDR built on to the starter

bracket? Just want to be sure of its location, and what is the reason there are two (2)

different sets of timing degree marks? One has "CD" and the other has "Elec CD".

The engine idle seems to be too slow in order to stay running; after letting it warm

several minutes, I try to place the starting lever back to the normal running position, but

it acts like it's fixing to die out, so I have to maintain the rpms above normal idle for

it to continue running. It is hard to start when cold and the engine misses slightly.

Replaced parts include carburetor has a new kit with bowl float, fresh fuel at 50:1,

fuel lines, spark plugs gapped at .030", and power pack. Fuel pump and electric primer

check out okay and compression is 120 psi on both cylinders. The low speed needle has been

adjusted starting from 1 1/2 up to 4 1/4 turns out in an attempt to find the sweet spot,

but I'm getting gray hair trying to get it to run right.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Linkage And Syncronization For '86 Evinrude 25 HP

Manual started engines has a mark 'arrpw' on the starter housing, electric started use the 'notch' on the electric starter as reference. Not being at the same location on engine, the flywheel needs two sets of markings.
As for idling problems, re-synch uour engine from the beginning.
Loosen the screw for the carb cam roller, start the engine and let it run at lowest possible rpm by just using timing advance for rpm adjustment.
Adjust the idle mix screw until max rpm is obtained at a 'fixed' throttle/timing setting. When max rpm is found, back out the mix screw about 1/4-1/2.
Set the throttle linkage (roller) screw so that the roller hits the mark on the timing cam. Better slightly after than to early.
Put the engine in gear (not running) and give full throttle. Adjust the stopper on the link from carb to the vertical shaft so the carb is 99.9% open. Do NOT open more than 100%!
Put the engine in a barrel or at sea and do a test run.
When adjusting and testing idle, cooling etc, never use muffs due to lack of back pressure.

RicS1953

Cadet
Re: Linkage And Syncronization For '86 Evinrude 25 HP

Thanks so very much for your input on this Haffiman- I was definitely hoping to get your milestone wisdom on this! :D

My biggest problem was buying this motor not running. The PO assured me that it only needed a replacement power pack,

so I went for it. You got me straightened out on the power pack hookup when the engine would not start up, remember?

(It was on a different help forum, I think.) It seems that the Link and Sync along with the idle setting on the carb are

critical and must be set exactly right for the engine to run correctly, right? In other words, no room for error!

The owner's manual states the spark plug gap set to .040", but I also read a recommendation of .030" elsewhere, which is

what mine are currently gapped at. I'll post back later on the progress I get. Thanks again!