One for the carb guys! 1993 8hp E8RETB

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
This carb will not stop flooding itself!:confused: There's a new carb kit, it was well cleaned with carb cleaner, wires passed through all the openings & orofi, blown out with compressed air, all gaskets have been double checked ( I didn't forget any), & float settings were measured with the gauge. When that didn't work right, I adjusted the float, both up & down, nine times. no matter what I do it keeps flooding! I've had the motor running, & adjusted the mix needle 'till I'm thinking of buying a NEW SCREWDRIVER! Attached is a pic of the only thing I can see wrong with this carb. Will the crack in this nozzle well, in this pic, make it do this?

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: One for the carb guys! 1993 8hp E8RETB

Well, the only way fuel can get into the carb is through the needle/seat. Have you used a light and looked down inside the seat to see if there might be a piece of trash jammed in there holding the needle off of the seat?
I don't think that crack is causing your problem.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

About all I can see would be the float needle is not seating, how about the float seat orfice is it seated in the body? I can not see a crack you indicate in the photo. I just had one very similar off today on one of my 1992 9.9s & it appears this nozzle well is there basically to help eliminate any fine debris that settles in the bottom & is the basis for the mainjet orfice. Anything there should not have anything to do with the float needle not shuting off.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did find that my "pump bubble" was detiorating on the inside. I replaced it today & re-cleaned EVERYTHING. re-set the float with the gauge, & still flooding. It's worse when the motor is runnin', if that helps. Will post new pics in a few minutes.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two new pics of the cracked nozzle well. Hope these are better.DSC00013a.jpgDSC00014a.JPG

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

any ideas? New carb?

chiefcatchemall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know if you said you replaced the needle, but if you didnt it could possibly be worn and hanging up on you

Haffiman

Commander

All I see is a lot of old parts and a somewhat bent float tab. Suggest a NEW rebuild kit and gaskets, and the problem should be gone.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I see is a lot of old parts and a somewhat bent float tab. Suggest a NEW rebuild kit and gaskets, and the problem should be gone.

A new kit was installed, with new gaskets, new needle, new seat, etc... I've tried 2 different floats, both tested for leaks for 24 hrs. & both in several positions, including the correct settings.

Haffiman

Commander

The gaskets I see have compression marks that should not be there if just installed. The tip of the needle(valve) I can not see if is rubber(silicone) or not.
If the carb is flooding when pumping the bulb, your needle valve is leaking (engine not running).
If the carb is flooding when running on low idle, the air/fuel mix circuits are not working in the carb cover - change cover or 'fix'.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The compression marks in the gaskets are there because I've re-assembled this carb several times. the needle seat is silicon, but new. It is flooding at high idle, no matter where I set the mix needle. I'll double check the mix needle tip & the cover for problems I may have missed. The engine also dies when I trry to go to low idle. I'm contributing that to the flooding problem. Is that correct? I've adjusted the throttle cable, been through the link & sync procedures (by the book), etc... It seems that I can get a suitable mix setting, but when I shut it off & try it again, it's "off" again & still flooding.