Evinrude 9.9 outboard not pushing boat like it used to

R N

Cadet
I have a 1987 Evinrude 9.9 outboard that has been working great until recently. About 2 weeks ago it stopped pushing the boat like it used to. I noticed it wasn't pumping water so I cut it and replaced the impeller. It's not pumping water just fine but still not pushing the boat. There is nothing else different about it. It revs up just fine. Sounds no different than it used to on full throttle. the only difference is on full throttle it won't move my boat any faster than it does on 1/4 throttle. In fact, while the motor just sound fine it almost seems like when I put it on full throttle it moves the boat even slower. The prop is pretty chewed up but it has been for some time (lots of shallow logs that aren't visible where I usually take it). Could it just be the prop or is there something else going on? Oh, and I use my boat year round. It's a long time if I don't have it in the water for a week.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 9.9 outboard not pushing boat like it used to

Is it firing on both cylunders, check the spark and compression.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What kind of boat is it on ??

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes those motors can run quite well on only one cylinder until you put them in gear & then they have no power. Or you could have a spun rubber hub in the prop, rather likely if you have repeatedly hit logs.

R N

Cadet

Yes those motors can run quite well on only one cylinder until you put them in gear & then they have no power. Or you could have a spun rubber hub in the prop, rather likely if you have repeatedly hit logs.

Thanks. This is the most likely cuplrit - the spun rubber hub. I guess I'll be replacing the prop. It needs it anyway.

What kind of boat is it on ??

16' jon. Same boat it's been on for about a year. It doesn't move it fast but it moves it and my 25 hp motor has too long a shaft.

Is it firing on both cylunders, check the spark and compression.

The motor is running as it always has. It's just not moving the boat as it always has.

Thanks for your replies!