Need to register a jet ski in Texas with no title

Chris'sGirl

Recruit
Wondering what to do... We traded a truck for a jet ski. The chain of ownership is hard to follow. Sounds like this...some guy had it and used it for payment to his atty to defend him in court. He went to jail and refused to sign over the title since he didn't win his case. The atty sold it to a sheriffs deputy who eventually traded it for our truck. We did a boatfax report and found that the title is clear. What do we do now. I hear Texas is difficult to deal with in these areas.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need to register a jet ski in Texas with no title

At the rate these things are stolen I'd imagine this will be difficult even though your title is clear.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A few years back I had to register a truck in TX and there was no way to get to the owner that it was titled to. I sent a registered letter with the transfer document in it to the last known address. When it came back undelivered, I took the un-opened letter to the state and they issued me a title on the basis of not being able to contact the registered owner. If it is a clear title and you have some sort of bill of sale I think that's what I had to do. You have to realize though this was back in the 90's and things may have changed.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow, forget my last post, I just watched the video.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well you could follow the procedure for abandoned vehicles and maybe get the title that way

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

or you could by a jet ski hull that has a title an swap the motor in if it becomes a super pain which there it seems to be here in nc all u need is a noterized bill of sale

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You are screwed.

Both the lawyer and the deputy should have known they were transferring something .... worthless.

Possible recourse with the deputy depending on the laws of TX and the paperwork he presented.

Even if what he did wasn't illegal, he may not want to face the embarrassment of a court case.

Then again, you accepted the ski without a title.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The atty sold it to a sheriffs deputy who eventually traded it for our truck.

That should of been your first clue.