New Boat (2003 Glastron SX 175), Any Advice?

steamboater1

Cadet
I have been looking for a boat for about 3 months. I was patient and waited for the right deal. For the most part, people on Craigslist were way high on the values of boats, and I think being patient is key when scouring through thousands of ads. I am definately going through the nervousness/excitement stage having just handed over the money.

The boat is a 2003 Glastron Sx 175, I bought in Milwaukee, WI. I grew up on the Mississippi, had a Rinker as a kid. Im hoping I dont run into too many problems right away. Send me your thoughts/tips and wish me luck :D

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Boat (2003 Glastron SX 175), Any Advice?

Congrats on the purchase! As far as advice, just take your time and do things right. The ramp is always fun. Be ready to deal with some crazy stuff there. Just make sure you're not one of the idiots that people are always posting complaints about. A bit of courtesy goes a long way. Make sure your drain plug is in and get out of the loading/unloading areas as fast as safely possible. Don't forget to trim your outdrive up before pulling out. It's never good to leave a half inch of it behind on the ramp :facepalm: Keep up with maintenance, and you should be a happy camper.

Browse through the forum, there is a ton of great information here and plenty of people ready to help with advice when you run into problems. Oh, and check out the Stupid Human Tricks While Boating section. There are some threads there that will tell you what NOT to do :D

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Congrats!
Also post up the type of lower unit you have as people will certainly have a lot of "do's and don'ts" depending on the outdrive.
To add a few more notes:
1) Always lower the lower unit BEFORE starting the engine
2) Check the engine oil and gear oil before going out
3) If you are storing on a trailer when not in use- keep the nose up and the drain plug out so rain water will flow out- if its covered, I leave all of my compartments open so they'll get a little air flow
4) bring a toolkit with you

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Always keep a fire extinguisher on board. I had a fire last year and was without one!

steamboater1

Cadet

Thanks for the pointers, good to have a message board to go ask questions. I definately was browsing on this forum as I was looking for the boat. It will be nice to get it out on water tomorrow, I did take for water test drive today and everything seemed fine. It has the Volvo Penta 3.0.