1972 Sportwin 9.5 - fuel leaking out of carb

72rud

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've been getting into boating recently and bought a 1972 9.5 HP Sportwin off Craigslist. The outboard came with the carb off, as the original owner passed away while cleaning it. I put the carb back on yesterday to give it a test run to see what I would need to get this up and running, as the motor seemed to be in pretty good shape by looking at everything else. The motor did run, but it would lose fuel pressure pretty quickly. I could squeeze the bulb and it would keep it running, but would also spray gas everywhere. Upon further inspection, I noticed gas squirting out of the carb, just below the choke valve. There is a small hole there that looks like it was a machined hole. Looking at online diagrams doesn't seem to indicate that there should be anything in that orifice.

I plan on getting a service manual for this and a carb rebuild kit, but not sure what else to get for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1972 Sportwin 9.5 - fuel leaking out of carb

I have a 73 and the first time I put gas pressure to the carb. it did the same thing as you describe. I think you're right on the money ordering a carb. kit for it. There are many other parts that should be checked out like points, plugs, coils etc. but for now I would just get the carb. kit in it (after a very good cleaning). While waiting you can clean and lubricate all things that require it. Good call on the service manual too. It will help you to gain knowledge and to do things correctly. Best of luck. Rick.