Trouble Launching - would like to avoid powering off

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My boat is big and heavy (25ft, 5000lbs) and I have trouble getting it off the bunks at the launch. Powering off works, but I don't want to damage the launch, and I will have to get wet when I am alone. Climbing the bow on the cuddy is a little sketchy, especially because it is no longer tied down with any straps at that point. Not to mention its Canada and the water is freaking cold.

Backing up and slamming on the brakes works, but it takes 3 or 4 tries which I worry is too much strain for the X5 and/or the hitch assembly. Use some lines to the winch mount to secure the boat and stay dry...

I read that some vaseline on the bunks may help, so I will try tonight, but I was looking for any other ideas...

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trouble Launching - would like to avoid powering off

Understand your problem, bunk trailer, high bow /2 ft bow rail, boat deck about 4 feet above the frame of the trailer. I have teflon strips on the two bunks that support the boat, they help significantly, but I still have to go in deep to float off the trailer at idle speed. Installed steps on the front of the trailer so I don't have to balance on the winch with one foot and straddle the bow rail, seen nasty pics of people slipping off. Also have guide bars to keep boat aligned w/bunks when pulling out of the water. Problem is I still have to back down ramp into bumper depth water, rear tires in the water a bit and the exhaust bubbling in the water. And yes feet get wet getting on/off trailer to climb into the boat. If you find a solution let me know.. only do this a couple times a year so I'm living w/this trailer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The teflon strips work very well but I don't have experience with a boat that large.

What you are up against is that your boat is simply too big to launch/retrieve regularly. I know, I know there are lots of people who do it. But it's a fairly recent practice; used to be, boats that big were moored (slipped) and hauled out occasionally. i know this doesn't solve your problem, but you are in a league where "easy ramping" is not practical.

And for the reasons you are experiencing, it seems to me that a roller trailer is a better set-up. Again, bunks are popular b/c they are cheap to make and sell, but the drive on trailer ir relatively new, too. Rollers would solve your issues (+ a power winch) but there is a cost factor, I know.

oldjeep

Admiral

Any reason you can't back in further?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Any reason you can't back in further?

That's the one, boats weigh next to nothing when afloat compared to their dry weight.

I back my boat in until the stern floats off the trailer, then unhook the winch strap and give a shove and she's off.

... aren't Canadians supposed to used to cold stuff? Cold water, cold snow, cold ice... cold beer.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a long shot, but you could tie off the aft cleat to a dock (hoping that there is a long dock next to the launch) and then pull the trailer out from under the boat. Would need a long line and long dock....but you wouldnt get wet.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Your best bet might be to find a ramp that is steeper & deeper. Some ramps just aren't designed to handle larger boats.

UncleWillie

Captain

I tried Slydz-On,
It works great, almost too great, be careful!

I back the trailer down the ramp until the ends of the bunks are just ABOVE the water.
Unhook the winch and safety cable.
Push the bow up and down a few times to break her free.
The boat slides right off the bunks into the water, looks like an aircraft carrier being launched down the slipways.
People watching have stated that they were impressed!
The bunks do not even get wet! :D

Do NOT unhook the bow eye until you are fully ready to launch.
The boat may launch itself onto the concrete ramp! :eek:

hostage

Lieutenant

Having a friend and a smaller boat makes it easier. Try to put it in slowly until the whole boat is floating and still attached via winch. Then grab the bow line and pull it to the dock and then get the stern line when you pull the stern closer.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You people scare me sometimes :facepalm:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

here is how I launch my Rogue or any other boat by myself.

back down the ramp. when the boat is near the water, remove the transom straps, install plug, and disconnect lights
back in until the bow of the boat is near the water and the aft is starting to float, disconnect the winch strap and safety chain.
tie boat off to dock cleats, have bumpers off the side.
back in the water just a bit more, boat floats backward, gently coming against the dock and bumpers.
pull truck and trailer forward a bit
turn on bilge blowers on boat
load anything that needs loading
park truck and trailer
come back to boat
start engine
undo dock lines, leaving a single loop that I can fling off the cleat when ready
back up - flinging loop off cleat
go boating

when coming back
tie off to dock with bumpers
back trailer in water
float boat to trailer and guide on as far as I can with dock lines
hook up winch strap to bow eye
winch boat onto trailer, hook up safety
pull boat up ramp a bit
undo drain plug
put on transom straps, pull plug, and connect lights
exit marina

now if you have to back in farther on a shallow ramp, back in until the boat is near floating. I have backed in on some ramps until the tail pipe is under water

oldjeep

Admiral

>pull truck and trailer forward a bit
>turn on bilge blowers on boat
>load anything that needs loading
>park truck and trailer

uh - no. Have your crap loaded before you start tying up the ramp. Back the thing in then get the heck off the ramp

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

tying a boat to the dock and pulling the trailer out from under it is very tricky b/c you aren't pulling straight back, and can lead to a boat jammed crooked on the trailer--or a dock cleat popping off. I often use this technique for low tide launches over mud. it's nto that simple and I'd worry about a boat that big.

Also, if you get teflon, or rollers, or other quick launch devices, have that bow line (or better, two) tied off well. the weight and momentum is scary. And be sure the line is long enough; I did it once with a line just 1 foot too short, resulting in the boat being hung on the end of the trailer, but a line so tight no way to release it.

Also you can rig a power winch to pull your boat off the trailer, which goes straighter than if tied to the dock.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for your replies:

Can back in deeper because the exhaust is already touching water - any further and the park sensors will be submerged.. already have an extended hitch to give me a few more inches

Best ramp on the lake, and its only 20 mins from the house. The next closest lake which can handle my boat is over two hours

The comment about having the boat loaded prior to launch gives me an idea. what about not having it UNLOADED to reduce some of the weight. Dock has plenty of space for me to tie up and load up after launch...

Winching the boat using the stern cleat and the dock may work, although the dock has cheap plastic cleats that were completely destroyed at the start of the season. They have been replaced, but I don't want to be the one who breaks them again. Possibly welding a roller to the trailer frame, then using the boat winch??

Finally Canadians are USED to cold stuff, but we still dont like it (except for the beer)

Thanks again.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Many solutions:

Back in deeper
Get a roller trailer
NO vaseline. Use teflon spray on the bunks
NO power offloading

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried spraying the bunks down with Silicone spray and/or some vinyl protectant of some sort (as a first conservative step)

Should definitely help...might not cure...

oldjeep

Admiral

The comment about having the boat loaded prior to launch gives me an idea. what about not having it UNLOADED to reduce some of the weight. Dock has plenty of space for me to tie up and load up after launch...

I doubt that you are going to be able to make much of a difference in a 5000lb boat.
The solutions seem to be - buy a pickup truck so that your vehicle is higher and the hitch is further behind the wheels or buy a roller trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

exhaust is fine underwater - just dont shut the engine of, it wont start.

not sure on the backup sensors, however I suspect that they are IP67 rated, so you should be fine. you will have to verify that