Modify transom, or look for short-shaft engine?

14 Tinner

Recruit
Just starting out boating. Recently purchased a 14' aluminum tub. Came with a Yamaha 9.9HP electric start 4-stroke. In reading other posts since registering on this site I have discovered a potential answer to my problem. The boat will not get on plane...even with just me in the boat. I determined that it as a Long shaft engine mounted on a short shaft transom. 1)Should it get on plane with that small of an engine? 2)Should I look for a used short shaft engine or build a bracket to raise the mounting on the transom? I hate the idea of drilling holes in a boat. PLEASE HELP!!!! (BTW the transom is 15" high)

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Modify transom, or look for short-shaft engine?

I doubt you'll ever really "get on plane" with that rig, but it should get you up and down the river O.K. If your water is good and deep then the long shaft won't hurt anything much more than creating additional drag. You might locate a short shaft lower unit to buy and bolt on. You could bolt a piece of heavy marine plywood onto the back of your transom to raise the motor a few inches. Good Luck!:)

14 Tinner

Recruit
Re: Modify transom, or look for short-shaft engine?

Thanks for the suggestion but...are you referring to putting the plywood on the top 2" of the transom?