Motor too big.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought a used boat and thought everything was good. The motor runs great and the boat is very solid. However after doing some research I have found out that the boat is rated for a max 175 but when I bought it, it has a 250. The plackard that goes under the throttle that normally tells you this is not there anymore. The question I have is, how unsafe is this? The guy who I got it from said he has had it like this for a few years.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor too big.

How safe? in what sence? Speed wise? just because it's there doesn't mean you have to push the throtle all the way to the end. (How safe is it to drive a car that can go over 90mph on city streets where the limit is 30?)
Weight wise... A V6 175 hp will weight about the same as a 250 hp V6 of the same make.
A 150 4 stroke could outweigh a 250 2 srtoke.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice

Ok that's what I was really concerned with. If the larger motor weighed more.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

insurance company and the law will have a problem with it. It is way over powerd. If you take it easy and run it at reasonable throttle it should be ok but I worry about the leagle side.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

How safe depends on how big the boat is. The main problem is a liability. If your in an accident your insurance company will walk away unless the motor size is on the policy. You would have a small chance in court unless you were anchored. Some wildlife officers will write you up. No problem finding some one that will trade motors and not much of a problem finding a hull that will handle your motor. ( do something)

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

How does it sit in the water? Is it sitting low in the back? How does it take off and turn.? Not taking anything off from Part-time, but sounds too good. Same as an automobile, as long as it is safe doesn't mater, but insurance will be high.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice

The registration says 250 and like I said there isn't any plackard. So I'm not really worried about getting a ticket. The boat sits very flat when I am sitting. It is a 25' deck boat with a cat hull.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

What makes you think that this 25' deck boat has a max horsepower rating of 175hp? I think you've miscalculated. I may be wrong, but I HARDLY think a 25' boat of any kind would be overpowerd with a 250hp motor. Do you happen to have of them?

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

The registration says 250 and like I said there isn't any plackard. So I'm not really worried about getting a ticket. The boat sits very flat when I am sitting. It is a 25' deck boat with a cat hull.
Either you contradicted your self from your first post or your research is wrong newberryfam

jestor68

Commander

Since both engines weigh the same(give or take a few pounds), there is no problem.

How did you determine the capacity if there is no placard?

Please identify your 25 ft cat hull deck boat.

My 23 ft cat hull deck boat is rated for 300 HP.:cool:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

engine weight has absolutely nothing at all to do with the boat rating, my boat is rated for a 70 max, I couold easily get a 150 on it and it would float fine,transom rating are based on the tourqe placed on thre transom by the engine, obviously a 250 has more power that a 175 so if would be over stressing the transom.

It was designed to hold say 3000 lbs and the 250 is putting 4000 on it so it will fail sooner.

How did you determine that it is rated for 175?

jestor68

Commander

engine weight has absolutely nothing at all to do with the boat rating..

[/QUOTE

You might rethink that statement. Engine weight is in fact figured into the horsepower capacity, as well as the overall weight capacity of any boat.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice

I may be over thinking this but the only thing that I have been able to find that shows the max hp is from the chaparral brochure from 1994. That is what says max hp is 175. I figured that since that is from the manufacture that is what it was. Maybe I am wrong.

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice

photo.jpg
Here is a screen shot of the brochure where I am getting this info. I have the boat on the left. The right one is rated for 250 but that is an I/O not an outboard.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're overthinking it. There's NO WAY a single 250hp motor is too much for that boat. The transom should be more than strong enough to support the additional weight. Have you weighed the engines to see what the difference is? It's not going to be substantial and the transom (if not rotted to ****) will be able to handle it just fine. I wouldn't even worry about the insurance company problem. If you put a 250hp outboard on a 17' bowrider, yeah, they'll dismiss your claim in the end. But on a 25' boat? No way.

jestor68

Commander

Concerning whether you're "legal" or not; consider the following.

Fed requirements only require your boat to display the "certificate of compliance", because it's over 20 ft long. Boats under 20 ft must have the placard showing capacities, including outboard HP and the certificate of compliance.

On my boats, that certificate wording is on the capacity placard/sticker next to the helm.

NMMA member manufacturers must display a placard/sticker showing all capacities, including HP for outboard boats up to 26 ft. Inboard boats(including I/O's) don't have to show HP. My previous mention of 300 HP rating for one of my boats(the Bayliner) came from literature, not on the placard/sticker, since it's an I/O.

Not clear on what year this took effect, but I'm sure your 1994 boat qualifies.

You may be illegal in that your boat has no fed certificate of compliance(normally on that capacity placard/sticker). Water cop could ding you for that.

Your state might have additional requirement. example: all boats under 26 ft must display a placard showing all that stuff.

I suspect the previous owner removed the placard/sticker when he stuck the bigger motor on the boat so nobody would see that 175 rating on it. Trouble is he also removed the fed cert of compliance wording that was printed on that placard/sticker.

So, where does that leave you. Unless your state requires something else, your boat, being over 20 ft, only requires the fed(USCG) cert of compliance to be displayed. If inspected, you may be dinged for not having it.

If you contact your boat manufacturer, I'm sure they can provide you with a replacement sticker. These are "form letter" type things, where the actual capacity numbers (HP,people, weight)are stamped on, appropriate for that particular model. Usually, the placard/sticker is next to the helm, presumably to reminder the operator how many people he/she can carry.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have heard, but not verified, that some states have codified the "max power" and others have not

newberryfam

Seaman Apprentice

I contacted the manufacturer and they do not issue duplicate capacity plates. But also talking with a coast guard inspector, since the boat is over 20' it isn't required. So from all the info that I have got from here and from the coast guard, as long as I don't fill the boat to capacity and I monitor how much power I am giving the boat, I will be good. Since the registration states 250hp I am good legally. Thanks for all the help.