Replacing tracker floor screws

Mike89

Recruit
Hello!

I have a late 90's Tracker fishing boat and all of the screws holding the flooring down are rusted out and need replacing. My problem is finding the screws they used. I've tried ace hardware, menards and the home depot with no luck. They get close but usually the head isnt wide enough and the threads aren't close enough. I replace just a few with the closest ones i could find but after a few trips out on the lake they back them self's out :(

So where would i get these exact screws? Or should i use the closest ones i can find and use washers to make the heads big enough and use lock tight to keep them from backing out? (i don't like that idea...)

Here is a picture of one of the screws -

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/594/img1129.JPG

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Michael Galvin

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replacing tracker floor screws

Try running the close ones down through in a different spot than the originals, let them get a fresh bite on the crossmember. If you don't want to try different spots go with a larger diameter screw. If the hardware guy says the originals are #8 go with #10's or even #12's. Don't go with any longer screws or you might run them down through the hull.

kfa4303

Banned

be sure you get stainless steel self tapping sheet metal screws, or they'll just rust out again.

fishrdan

Admiral

I tired to find those on my rebuild and couldn't, weird self tapping specialty screw...

I used these truss head screws.

If you just need to keep the screws you have from backing out, put a couple drops of red locktite on them. (Not the rusted out screws, the new ones.)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

The screws fishrdan showed are good. But you will have to drill a hole first. The old ones were made with a little drill bit on the end to make for faster install at the factory. They were hard steel because SS made like that will twist off.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I've come to prefer big ol' gnarly pop rivets over screws for deck fasteners.

DSC02214.jpg

They won't back out and they won't rust... and they're easy to install.