Restoring 65 Glasspar 14 foot with a Merc 85hp outboard--question-Tachometer

The shifter has a tach connection. It is my understanding that if I get the connection that goes into that Mercury shifter, I can wire up a Tach.

Now--where where I aquire that connect that goes into the tach there on the shifter. Anyone direct me to a purchase?
ALso, it is possible to buy a tach with the connection already.

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Restoring 65 Glasspar 14 foot with a Merc 85hp outboard--question-Tachometer

I am looking for the same thing. Let me know what you find!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Restoring 65 Glasspar 14 foot with a Merc 85hp outboard--question-Tachometer

One of the yellow leads from the stator to the rectifier. Thats where the signal to the tach comes from. Just run a wire from the rectifier to the tach or to the control box if you want to go through there.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those old merc tachometers were running from distributor signal on brown wire,depends which tach you will decide to use(faria or original merc)there is a different hook up procedures.for newer tachs like faria use method above.dissconnect brown wire from starboard side of switch box and attach it to one of the pins with yellow wires coming from stator on rectifier and you can use plug on mercury control box