'76 Mercury 500 questions

Ilikewater

Cadet
I purchased my first boat. Yeah! It came with a '76 mercury 500. It has an electric start. It seems to start-up quite easily and idle with muffs. I have two questions. First, it seems to have two control levers. The large laever appears to be for forward-neutral-reverse throttle. I am unsure of the nature of the second slender lever. Second, I am unsure as to the best way to lower the motor after transport. It appears to have a long pin that can be inserted into a number of slots to catch once it is lowered. However, once it is lowered, it seems to catch to tight on the pin and it's a pain to raise. I had to remove a hydraulic shock last time to raise it back up.

I have yet to put in water and want to make sure I understand these aspects before setting sail.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: '76 Mercury 500 questions

Jason the small lever on the control is for cold start. Raise it up (throttle in neutral) and it will advance the throttle.

That motor is supposed to have a reverse lock to hold it down under reverse thrust. If it is adjusted properly, you will need to put the motor in forward to release the lock. That is just the way it is designed. Set the tilt pin to the second hole from the bottom. That is usually correct for most boats.

Ilikewater

Cadet

Excellent. Thank you very much.

Should there also be some control for the choke near the control box? It seems odd that I have to pull the engine cover to choke for a cold start.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally there is a choke button on the control box. push and hold it for choke.

Ilikewater

Cadet

Normally there is a choke button on the control box. push and hold it for choke.

Looks like I will be shopping because that button and associated components are gone.

Thanks for your help.

Jason