Was my Block welded or repaired

kohj1978

Cadet
I have an 1989 bayliner 19 ft with the omc ford 2.3l, i had water in the oil last summer so we changed the oil a few time to get water out of the motor, i was sent awat for some training, but we just moved into a new house with an extra garage, so back to the boat, i checked the manifold and no leaks, so i was looking for a compatable ford block and was read that the serial number woould be on the port side near the bell, well i didnt find it but i did find what looks to be a weld on the block, im not really sure, i plan to replace the block as soon as i figure out which one will work but now i curious if this could have beed the cuase of the water in my oil

DSC_0128 (800x526).jpg

Gitrdun01

Cadet
Re: Was my Block welded or repaired

Water in the oil usually is a head gasket. But if someone tried to weld a cooling passage inside the block that would also do it...

kohj1978

Cadet

i just got done taking the head off, the only problem that i see is it seem they used the wrong gasket, all the holes for water channels on the exhuast side were not cut out on the gasket. so i guess its a block change next.

Gitrdun01

Cadet

What did the "weld" look like with the heads off? Could u still see it ? What about the cylinder walls? Could you see wear or a crack inside?

kohj1978

Cadet

the weld stoped just short of the top of the block, and i couldnt really see the weld from inside the block,but there was rust, but the cylinder walls look good, not scratches or visable cracks, the last cylinder was alittle darker than the rest,
You can see the gasket on the head, and im guessing the holes for the cooling channels that were never cut out started to rust throu the gasket,
IMG-20120615-00133 (1280x960).jpgIMG-20120615-00134 (1280x960).jpg