beaching my boat

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
i wanna beach my boat at the local lake lake norman there is a beach on a island for the kids to get off an play in the sand i have done it in my tri-hull but now i have a critchfield 17 ft V bottom any suggestions there are no rock in site even swimming from the beach till i cant touch bottom any more there arent any rocks im 6 ft 3 in so im not really worried bout hittin the lower unit on any rock but any tips would be great

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: beaching my boat

Simply have a keel protector applied to the boat and beach away. They work great and are well worth the money. This is assuming you have a fiberglass boat of course.

jestor68

Commander

Your Critchfield will beach the same as your tri-hull.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If there are no rocks, you really don't need the keel protector, but it would save the gel coat over time. Just approach slowly and don't jam it into the sand hard.

Oh, and please put a few periods in your post...it was tough reading :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I never beached my FG boat. Always anchored with the bow out to sea. No scratches and no waves over the stern. Gotta get far enough out for the boat to ride the waves without hitting the bottom and have the engine up....use 2 anchors.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

As the waves rock your boat you're gently sanding the gel coat down, you wont notice much at the beginning but keep it up and you will see the sand papered keel look more and more ugly as time goes on. Couple good anchors will keep your boat safe just a couple feet from shore floating like it was designed. If you are not so worried about your paint and how the boat looks then by all means. Sucking sand through your engine isn't a good thing either, just need to be aware of that, and trim it up when you arrive/depart. .

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

As the waves rock your boat you're gently sanding the gel coat down, you wont notice much at the beginning but keep it up and you will see the sand papered keel look more and more ugly as time goes on. Couple good anchors will keep your boat safe just a couple feet from shore floating like it was designed. If you are not so worried about your paint and how the boat looks then by all means. Sucking sand through your engine isn't a good thing either, just need to be aware of that, and trim it up when you arrive/depart. .
the paint is like new not a single scratch on it i dont wanna scratch it up

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be mindful of your lower unit. I know mine when trimed to its upper 'water' limit is very much in the water still.

Turn off...and Trailer trim it up a little to get above stern/transom bottom. Remember to trim back down to operating level to prevent wear on joints.

The thought of my new hull touching sand gives me the willies.... I suppose if it was dead calm - wouldn't be to bad once in awhile...

walk it up to the sand if you do!

SDSeville

Lieutenant

If it is only sand, it is no big deal. I have done it with brand new as well as old boats and have never had a problem. Everywhere I boat, I see $1000 to $75,000 boats beached in the sand bow first. If you are really worried, a keel guard will keep it brand new, but it is not really necessary.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yeah I tend to want to use my boat, not baby it to the point that I have to swim to shore and back,lol Just pull that sucker up to the beach, trim motor some depending on depth at stern when beached.

After I feel my bow bottom out, I throttle a little to bring it up on the beach some so the boat doesn't rock to the side with incoming waves from boats.

Also if you ever have a hard time getting her off the sand, turn your steering wheel back and forth while in reverse and it will cause a swirl under the boat and will come unstuck very easily. enjoy your boat, thats what you bought it for, beach that baby and have fun. :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I see people beach their expensive boats all the time. I never will as I just flip it bow out and anchor it to ride the waves. I also see people in expensive boats run straight into the sand, lower the engine and use the lower unit to stop them. It digs into the sand and acts as an anchor and the hull never touches the sand. Again not for me but for some, the laws of scarcity don't apply.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Curious do people put their lower unit down a bit to keep boat still? I seem to remember people doing that when i was younger. Seems a little sketchy...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's a boat. It's sand. Go have fun and don't worry about it. It's easy enough to pull it out a couple feet after you unload.

Ihave heard of people using a LU like a power pole anchor,and I don't think it's a good idea for two reasons: too much suspended sand to get in the works w/ no flushing going on; the risk of a hard pound if a wake comes in. And I'm one who doesn't fret about running over a shallow sand/mud bottom; I leave that stuff behind!

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We would dig the motor in when beached if the bottom was mud or sand and sometimes even small peagravel. We did this for years with no ill effect. Rocks, I would not recommend putting the foot down. This works well as long as you are on calmer waters without large wakes or waves. Big waves will dislodge the motor and potentally let the boat turn sideways to the shore and really jam the motor into the shallower bottom. Not fun to watch.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I carefully ease in, and scout the area, unless it's a place I regularly go, and if I like it I have the wife take the wheel. I then jump in and swim/walk the area. If it's safe, I just pull it in by hand, after she shuts it off and raises the outdrive.

Most of our boating is on reservoirs with lots of old stumps hidden under water. Wouldn't want to come sliding in the beach and find one. Besides, I can always use another bath I'm told!! LOL!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

P6100265web.jpgBoat.JPGThe longitudinal scratches will make the boat go faster. Google it!

Been beaching mine on sand for 28 seasons now. Only the very bottom of the keel will be scratched, and none on the stem. I can't see it unless I get on a crawler and go under the boat. From the trailer its not noticable. The gelcoat is still intact. Only the surface is scratched.

In my case its not just once in awhile....its most every day in the water.

The pics are the same beach - 1984 and 2012.

BonairII

Commander

Yeah I tend to want to use my boat, not baby it to the point that I have to swim to shore and back,lol

Just like people who buy big 4X4 truck owner's only to never get them dirty.

It's a boat....it's supposed to get wet....and scratched etc. Not to mention, the scratches(if any) would happening on the BOTTOM of the boat.